Should cycle riders stay in single file?

Actually....YES!:):)

Actually, No. Shouting and grinning doesn't change the law which you inquired about.

about 85% of adult cyclists hold a UK driving Licence, about 80% of UK motorists have never cycled on the road.

Nice tongue in cheek link below, chill out and have a smile at it...

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/motorists-front-of-judea-what-have-the-cyclists-ever-done-for-us/

At the end of the day, most cyclists are alright, give them the right amount of space and all will be fine. Speaking as a motorist, the odd cyclist really pees me off, but so do plenty more drivers.

Happy cycling and happy driving :)

Is not it a legal requirement that cyclists stay in single file on the roads? Today I was travelling in the opposite direction to a group of about 20 of them and they were side by side holding up tax paying road users. Isn't it illegal for them to ride in "clumps" taking up a full lane and holding back proper tax paying road users?:rant:

Just let me get this straight. Are you saying that the more tax you pay, the more right you have to use the roads?? YES or NO?

If YES, how do you determine how much tax a road user pays on sight alone? Do you stop and ask them? Or do you make an ASSumption? If YES, does the higher rate tax payer commuting to work on his or her pushbike have more right to use the roads than the non tax-paying unemployed person on benefits in his or her car?

Your posts are ridiculous. Educate yourself about how the roads are funded in this country then come back and try again.

I commute to work by pushbike every day, and every morning I overtake between 20 and 50 slow moving or stationary motor vehicles. Should I ask them to pull over so I can pass or should I continue doing what I currently do and wait and overtake when it is safe? Your arguments are flawed.

Edited by meshuga

At the end of the day, most cyclists are alright, give them the right amount of space and all will be fine. Speaking as a motorist, the odd cyclist really pees me off, but so do plenty more drivers.

Happy cycling and happy driving :)

That "Like" button is still missing, I see :thumbsup:

What straw man was that then?

The one I quoted.

Nope but cars having accidents with cyclists doesn't prove that all car drivers are bad either...

You know. The claim that nobody ever made, which you were busy disputing.

That's what straw manning is, when you pretend that someone has said something they didn't and then proceed to argue about how it's not true.

A riding test for cyclists must come at some stage. They should welcome it with open arms as it will protect them from their lack of road cred and prevent accidents. It will also stop people from choosing the bicycle option because they are incompetent at passing a driving test in a car.

And at what age will you require this test?

And how will someone learn to ride before they've passed it?

Did you learn to cycle as a child. I think I was allowed to ride my bike around the quiet side roads from about the age of 6 or 7, I wasn't allowed on the 'main' road until about 11...

trafic moving about 10 to 15 mph coing upto a signal, cant obviously move right as cars and cyclist were there, cant speed up and overtake cyclist rapidly as traffic wasnt going fast enough to allow this , so being responsible enough to allow one cyclist room to continue his journey another cyclsit basically has to make me move a few inches close to him.

So you moved into position alongside the cyclist on the left despite there not being room to overtake, and then (wrongly maybe) another cyclist started to overtake you.

they should not be allowed on the road end of.............

Anyone who thinks this probably shouldn't be allowed on the road themselves.

with the average speed discussion in mind i reset my trip computer last-night at the 50mph point of the parkway before I drove round the city's ring home.

my average speed was around the 15mph mark until I hit a major blockage around St Mary's road before bramal Lane. because of this I slowed to 11mph average but this did increase to 12mph by the time I arrived home.

after thinking about this, the whole issue of average speed is a bit of a dead herring. when I was not in a stationary queue I was traveling faster than a cyclist, but while I was stationary cycles could easily pass me and other cars. cyclists don't have problems passing stationary vehicles. the problem is vehicles passing slow moving cyclists on the hills of sheffield.

with the average speed discussion in mind i reset my trip computer last-night at the 50mph point of the parkway before I drove round the city's ring home.

my average speed was around the 15mph mark until I hit a major blockage around St Mary's road before bramal Lane. because of this I slowed to 11mph average but this did increase to 12mph by the time I arrived home.

after thinking about this, the whole issue of average speed is a bit of a dead herring. when I was not in a stationary queue I was traveling faster than a cyclist, but while I was stationary cycles could easily pass me and other cars. cyclists don't have problems passing stationary vehicles. the problem is vehicles passing slow moving cyclists on the hills of sheffield.

Agreed, but people on this thread seem to think that's the cyclists' problem.