Should cycle riders stay in single file?

Is not it a legal requirement that cyclists stay in single file on the roads? Today I was travelling in the opposite direction to a group of about 20 of them and they were side by side holding up tax paying road users. Isn't it illegal for them to ride in "clumps" taking up a full lane and holding back proper tax paying road users?:rant:

Is not it a legal requirement that cyclists stay in single file on the roads? Today I was travelling in the opposite direction to a group of about 20 of them and they were side by side holding up tax paying road users. Isn't it illegal for them to ride in "clumps" taking up a full lane and holding back proper tax paying road users?:rant:

A favourite subject of mine, but sadly the law permits them to ride two abreast as the roads are a "public highway" which means all public can use them including cars, pedestrians, and of course, our beloved, and somewhat selfless:gag::gag: cycle hogging friends....oops, did that come out loud?:hihi:

What makes you think that cyclists don't pay tax?

A favourite subject of mine, but sadly the law permits them to ride two abreast as the roads are a "public highway" which means all public can use them including cars, pedestrians, and of course, our beloved, and somewhat selfless:gag::gag: cycle hogging friends....oops, did that come out loud?:hihi:

I am sure that I read somewhere that the road hogging halfwits were required to ride in single file so as to assist the traffic flow.:huh:

I am sure that I read somewhere that the road hogging halfwits were required to ride in single file so as to assist the traffic flow.:huh:

No, they can definately ride two abreast, but no more, unless they are in an approved trial or race through towns/cities etc. That said, you will always get the ones who flounce this rule, but due to the many threads that have been on here, you will find that its a can of worms between cyclists and motorists. They will never agree....it seems.

No, they can definately ride two abreast, but no more, unless they are in an approved trial or race through towns/cities etc. That said, you will always get the ones who flounce this rule, but due to the many threads that have been on here, you will find that its a can of worms between cyclists and motorists. They will never agree....it seems.

That is probably because cyclists cannot afford proper transport as they are on the dole.:roll:

They should keep in single file anyhow as a thank you to the road users who pay tax and pay the costs of maintaining the roads for them to freeload on.

Edited by Mercurian

Highway code rule 66 says they should be in single file on busy roads..

Highway code rule 66 says they should be in single file on busy roads..

Truman, you know my feelings on cyclists, and it pains me to say this, but unfortunately rule 66 clearly states that its a "should" and not a "must not" and some of the crazy cyclists will bend over backwards to point that out/

Im sure there will be a cyclist on here soon telling us all what they can and cant do, and I got barred last time for telling one of them what I think. Mr peddle power can do what he wants for me, because if they ride like donkeys, then they ask for all they get. No sympathy from this camp! :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Absolutely.

And why do they not pay tax to use the roads ? - I'm not talking about kids here but fully-grown adults cycling to and from work :rant: