New dad-to-be needs advice please :)

Hi

I've recently found out that I'm going to be a dad for the first time. I went with my partner for our 12 week scan earlier this week and it turns out the baby is almost 20 weeks! Because of this, we had our first and last 2D scan and the nurse was able to check for anomaly's and confirm the sex of our baby. However, we'd also like to have a 4D scan and a DVD made so I'm trying to find out which centre has the latest and greatest technology to produce the best 4D scans. I've had a quick look at Babyview at Barnsley and at Reassur3d in Sheffield, but I have no idea how they compare. I'm sure there must be many clinics throughout the region, so can anyone recommend a clinic which has a reputation for producing the best 4D scans? We don't mind travelling a reasonable distance i.e. Leeds, York, Barnsley, Doncaster, Sheffield, Manchester, etc

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Hi I went to babyview in Barnsley and they were fantastic. I really recommend them. They were so nice and it was really relaxing. I had the 4d plus package which was £120. For this I got a DVD of 10 mins of footage, a cd rom with 80 pictures on, 4 actual hard copy photos and they also measured the baby and told me her head and leg measurements so they could tell me how much she weighed now and how much she is likely to weigh when she is born.The appointment lasted half an hour, they didn't rush and really took the time to take good pictures and explain what was happening. their top package is £150- for this you get a 45 min appointment and a dvd with 15 mins of footage and 6 hard copy pictures. they also do a cheaper one for £99 so its pretty good value i think.

I have also been to Reassur3d for an early scan and fetal sex scan early in my pregnancy. They are good but I thought babyview was much more relaxed and less clinical than Reassur4d. Babyview have a big room so you can take other members of the family. my other half hasn't really liked any of the scans so far but he really enjoyed it at babyview. I don't work for them honest! just giving my opinion.

I think you can only have a 4d scan between certain dates- I was 30 wks when I had mine. think you have to be a bit further on than 20 weeks for a 4d but the website will tell you.

at first i wasnt convinced a 4d scan was worth the money before i made an appointment but its fantastic and if you can afford it you may as well take advantage of the technology available nowadays.

Good luck deciding anyways x

Edited by tiggywilson7
repeated myself!

I went to Window to the Womb near Nottingham and it was fantastic. only paid £90 for 4 printed photo's, all photos on DVD and the video of the entire session. I was 30 weeks pregnant when I had mine and was amazed at how 'formed' baby was if that makes sense... it was so over whelming to think that the baby on screen was in my tummy! It was a really great experience and will do it again with number 2 =)

Went to baby view barnsley was really happy.

I've been to window to the womb in Nottingham for both my girls. I was very happy with them. The second time, I bought a voucher via Ebay from them as it was cheaper.

I went to window to the womb in nottingham. I too bought the package on ebay as it was a lot cheaper. Really nice friendly people. A homely vibe. Fantastic x

Thank you for your comments. Interesting to hear that most people chose Nottingham or Barnsley. Being a bit of a geek, I'm curious to know which clinics have the best technology. We all know how quickly technology moves on, so I imagine there'll be a difference between a brand new scanner and one that's 5 years old, for example. I don't expect you guys to know! I'm just pondering :)

We went to baby view and wer very happy with them, the only downside was that we had to wait for ages in the waiting room, we were seen about an hour later than our apt

We have an appointment at Reassur3d at Thornbury Hopsital on Saturday. We did look at Babyview but the hubby couldn't be bothered to travel out of Sheffield! We also enquired at Ultra-sound direct at the Bupa clinic at Sandygate but they only did scans on Wednesday mornings which was no good for us.

The lady at Thornbury recommended we go before week 30 as the baby doesn't have much room to move in after that and it can be difficult to get a good view. I will be almost 29 weeks this weekend. Most places seem to state 24-26 weeks as a minimum for the scan.

I can let you you know after Saturday what it was like... I'm really looking forward to seeing our daughter again! :)