South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Posted by user "SYPoliceAuth".

I'm sensing a wee bit of vested interest here.

If your going to post at least post something constructive.

Poncing around in helicopters is no substiute for proper,tradition policing.

We need policeman to be high profile and accessable, not playing with expensive toys and indulging in simpistic, lowest common denomniator PR on "Twitter."

Playing around with expensive toys are you for real :roll: if it wasn't for the Air Ops team and there expensive toy as you put it alot of people might not be here today including myself so think about what your saying before posting garbage like that.

Aye up Mark, look who has made the BBC news!

lol the cheeky sods have spelled my surname wrong in a lot of the articles and they have also put a year on me pfft :hihi:

Just seen you on Look North m^rk, glad to see you survived your ordeal.:)

Thank you :) it certainly was an experience that i never want to go through that ever again! it hasn't put me off walking at all it was just one of those things unfortunately thankfully it had a happy ending.

May as well support the only helicopter based here, it is the only bit of aviation we have. Aviation is a major industry in other cities and I would like to see more people taking up the challenge in engineering and support in Sheffield. The helicopter I am sure is an awesome sight for youngsters and hopefully an inspiration.

Posted by user "SYPoliceAuth".

I'm sensing a wee bit of vested interest here.

So do I ,but would prefer to see the helicopter remain in Sheffield...its the Torys trying to cut costs again - in my opinion

So do I ,but would prefer to see the helicopter remain in Sheffield...its the Torys trying to cut costs again - in my opinion

The people on this forum who are having sly digs are the very same people that would cry wolf if they were in need of help and it took ages to get to them some people on here need to be careful what they wish for.

The copper chopper is worth its weight in gold as a crime fighting tool. The tories are always going to target our city for deep cuts. Which areas is London sharing their copper choppers with by the way? Or do they have several of their own?

the Met operate three aircraft serving a population of 7.4 million people ( plus or minus the few million commuters into the MPD and tourists ) so that's just shy of 2.5 million population per aircraft

SYP cover 1.28 million people

WYP cover 2.1 million people

Humberside cover 1.14 million people

NYP cover 0.81 million

the four 'Yorkshire' forces cover 1.28+ 2.1+ 1.14+.81 = 5.33 million

but let's not let the facts get in the way, plus no doubt the East Midlands region is keeping 2 aircraft ...

Theirs no differance in flight times I fly helicopters from Doncaster humberside and Derbyshire . Flight time humberside to Sheffield is approx 14 mins Doncaster to Sheffield 8 mins Derbyshire to Sheffield 5 mins theirs not much differance also with this joint effort its also a good idea Sheffield has one noise pollution helicopter that has a very bad track record of service due to going tech for sometimes weeks on end their is no support also in heavy winds heavy rain heavy fog and severe cold weather thus branding it useless . So with a joint task force with no less than 3 in service at anytime its good also tax to Sheffield folk will lower as at £2000 an hour an cost of fuel rocketing well its time we joined the masses UK wide .

Theirs no differance in flight times I fly helicopters from Doncaster humberside and Derbyshire . Flight time humberside to Sheffield is approx 14 mins Doncaster to Sheffield 8 mins Derbyshire to Sheffield 5 mins theirs not much differance also with this joint effort its also a good idea Sheffield has one noise pollution helicopter that has a very bad track record of service due to going tech for sometimes weeks on end their is no support also in heavy winds heavy rain heavy fog and severe cold weather thus branding it useless . So with a joint task force with no less than 3 in service at anytime its good also tax to Sheffield folk will lower as at £2000 an hour an cost of fuel rocketing well its time we joined the masses UK wide .

This tells a different story Sheffield to Humberside is not 14 minutes it's 23! minutes! so your being economical with the truth there.

http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHome/PoliceHome/PoliceHelicopter.aspx

This tells a different story Sheffield to Humberside is not 14 minutes it's 23! minutes! so your being economical with the truth there.

http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHome/PoliceHome/PoliceHelicopter.aspx

It's 14 minutes tell you what ill arrange to come humberside to the heliport in jet ranger and show you . Air ambulance going too they do a proper job and rescue people and purely by donations weres support for them .