South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

I don't mind hearing it at all. It only takes it 5-10 seconds while it's passing over our area. I also feel that little bit more secure knowing the people of Sheffield have this fine piece of equipment less than 5 minutes away.

i agree, sick of hearing the bloomin thing out in the middle of the night hovering.

Don't you think the solution is to remove the reason why the helicopter there, rather than to remove the helicopter?

Don't you think the solution is to remove the reason why the helicopter there, rather than to remove the helicopter?

Yes, well said.

Well unless you have a plan that will make numpties behave themselves.

forum would be a bit empty without "what's the police helicopter doing over xxx?"

Yes, I know the police helicopter is always over Stannington, but glad they are keeping it.!

you can always keep track of what they have been up to on twitter via @SYP_AirOps and the cops are @SYPtweet

Well personally i think its good news, i would much rather think that if it was required the helicopter was five minutes away, rather than having to come from derbyshire or leeds or somewhere. I do worry about how we are going to pay for it, but the benefits are definately worth it.

someone placed a freedom of infomation request in to syp concerning the helicopter expenditure versus the number of convictions obtained in 12 months the maths came out as for every conviction the cost of helicopter+ running costs divided by conviction to the syp was £28,000 per case ??????????

someone placed a freedom of infomation request in to syp concerning the helicopter expenditure versus the number of convictions obtained in 12 months the maths came out as for every conviction the cost of helicopter+ running costs divided by conviction to the syp was £28,000 per case ??????????

That's shocking! 28,000 notes for one chav? Shocking = FACT.

What exactly is your point..?

Tell me what figures you would like and i'll virtually guarantee I can work the stats to prove it...

Lie damn lies and statistics...

http://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/foi/disclosurelog/20080451

from this page of freedom of information requests

Annual budget = £1,279,471

number of arrests that year 241

number of assist arrests 151

241+151=392 arrests

1,279,471 divided by 392 = £3263 per arrest..

What exactly is your point..?

Tell me what figures you would like and i'll virtually guarantee I can work the stats to prove it...

Lie damn lies and statistics...

http://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/foi/disclosurelog/20080451

from this page of freedom of information requests

Annual budget = £1,279,471

number of arrests that year 241

number of assist arrests 151

241+151=392 arrests

1,279,471 divided by 392 = £3263 per arrest..

Thanks for that boxlighter. I wouldn't have minded if it had cost 28k per arrest though. I would like to see the official figures Toten is working off.

Well unless you have a plan that will make numpties behave themselves.

Try acting as a community and forming a neighborhood watch perhaps?