South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Its the rarity, I think as there are not so many about. Shame they didn't get excited when we had an airport.

I did my bit, we went to Jersey from Sheffield and I went on a sight seeing Helicopter flight from there.

There are some in Sheffield who throw bread to the helicopters

They don’t come from Stocksbridge do they?

Edited by Grandad.Malky

Well the police 'copter is noisy and if it hovers over your home theres a fair to middling chance that they are seeking the source of some criminality so I can see why people want to know what its upto! As for the Chinook, they are unheard of in Sheffield and the extra ordinary is always worthy of discussion surely?

Well the police 'copter is noisy and if it hovers over your home theres a fair to middling chance that they are seeking the source of some criminality so I can see why people want to know what its upto!

The police are using the heat seeking camera to follow someone or find someone and then the whole neighbourhood come out to add lots of other heat sources just to confuse the matter …….. great idea. :rolleyes:

The police are using the heat seeking camera to follow someone or find someone and then the whole neighbourhood come out to add lots of other heat sources just to confuse the matter …….. great idea. :rolleyes:

I agree it is a dumb idea and I dont go out looking at it - I just find the thead to be one of those where the answer is obvious and where criminals and whacking great military helicopters that just dont visit our humble town I can see what the hoo hah is about.

It's only a matter of time before the US sends an attack chopper here by mistake, I for one would like a heads up of any sightings so I can decide whether to duck and cover.

Haahahahahaha

love it

Does anyone know why?

Because the people who post that stuff are sad, lonely pillocks with no life? :)

South Yorkshire Police have announced that they are keeping the police helicopter rather than joining the new national air service, although this will be good for South Yorkshire to still have a dedicated police helicopter, this means that SYP will have to find the funding for it.

As they are already facing millions of pounds of cuts, is this the right decision, the money will have to be saved from somewhere, probably police officers, would it be better to just have a share in a helicopter and save several hundred thousand pounds?

link to story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-15039934

It's a tough one. The savings were about £600k a year BUT reaction times for the chopper to reach incidents would have significantly increased as well as the reduction in other operations it currently does i e helping to locate illegal cannabis farms.

I think in the long run I'd prefer things to stay as they are. SY99 does a very good job and has a very good success rate in apprehending criminals.

forum would be a bit empty without "what's the police helicopter doing over xxx?"

I think the chopper should be scrapped or at least mothballed for a few years and the money saved should go into retraining the duff cops out there. I stress some and not all. There are genuinly good coppers in south yorkshire but theres also a lot of duds who need retraining or replacing

I think the chopper should be scrapped or at least mothballed for a few years and the money saved should go into retraining the duff cops out there. I stress some and not all. There are genuinly good coppers in south yorkshire but theres also a lot of duds who need retraining or replacing

i agree, sick of hearing the bloomin thing out in the middle of the night hovering.