South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Unfortunately criminals don't usually work a 9-5, mon to fri and as you live in one of the less desirable areas of Sheffield I'm afraid your nightmare isn't about to end anytime soon. But as I'm sure this is a wind up I'm gonna shut up now.

Actually it was over very leafy and very nice Nether Edge as well as parts of Sharrow.

It's in the news today that the South Yorkshire police helicopters will most likely be scrapped and replaced by a National Police Air Service by April 2012 to save money.

I support that. The helicopter is way too expensive to be used for trivial crime such as catching joy riders or amateur cannabis growers. I see the need for a helicopter for more serious issues, but not for it to be used for catching minor criminals.

I support the idea of saving money, but not the idea of one of the largest cities in Britain not having a helicopter based in the city.

Joe9T, They do not have to use the search lights all the time when searching, Night cameras are the tops on this chopper. It is a good service that would be appreciated by anyone that has been a victim or even those that knew the system . They just do not go for a spin as and when they feel like it. Some posters would be glad to see this if they were victims of a late night binge by burglars and car theives. It is a good service and well worth the money and maybe the odd night waking up to hear it overhead.

theyre peeping through the windows as the red hot xxx station on the tv back at police head quarters is broke so they figured they could get it free.

It's in the news today that the South Yorkshire police helicopters will most likely be scrapped and replaced by a National Police Air Service by April 2012 to save money.

I support that. The helicopter is way too expensive to be used for trivial crime such as catching joy riders or amateur cannabis growers. I see the need for a helicopter for more serious issues, but not for it to be used for catching minor criminals.

What price justice then..?

Will we compile a list of things that will be investigated and a list of things that wont..?

Trivial joy riders - what is the definition of this..?

Is it judged on the value of the car they have stolen, so only executive cars will be chased..?

Perhaps it can be based on whether or not they have burgled your house or not. Or maybe by postcode..? We have a postcode health service, so perhaps we can have postcode policing too..?

Those people that live in areas where there are lots of crime can be ignored if they report a car theft, because the car wont be worth much anyway and lets face it they probably know the people responsible..!

We can prioritise petty crime the same way.

Shoplifters from waitrose can be investigated/chased.

But not from Aldi.. !

If the helicopter is called over from Manchester to a car chase, they can ask whether its local joyriders in a nissan micra (in which case its not worthy) or if its a new executive BMW, in which case they will make the effort to travel 20 mins to fly over the pennines..! (assuming its a quiet night in manchester that is)

I like your idea NAGEL.. its a new way to police.. dont bother with petty stuff like someone stealing your car..!!

It seems forum members are so fascinated by the Police helicopter and can't wait to find out what its up to so they like to start a new thread up each day to make them feel important :hihi:

Given that there are a multitude of reasons why the Police may be about in any guise, in any area, varying from minor to highly serious, it would be confusing and unhelpful to have such a thread.

Thanks, and closing.

No! It is NOT a wind up. Obviously the helicopter is doing fine police work (!) - I just wonder what it is doing at 2am over Sharrow all the time. I do apologise for asking but what was the point of your reply? Tahnk you Mike and as for the other answer - I have no idea what that means?

Im afraid that druggies & burglars dont keep office hours & Im sure the Police would much prefer to be at home with their families instead of chasing out of hours criminals