South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

What a really sick thing to say Slick Rick.

We get the helicopter over Gleadless quite a lot where there doesn't seem to be much crime, although saying that we are right next to the Manor so maybe there's more crime there? Fortunately it comes over during the day or early evening mostly, it would bug the hell out of me too if it was in the middle of the night all the time! I would love to know who they're looking for/following too, I assume every time it's overhead that's what they're doing?

Can't believe some of the responses on this thread to a perfectly normal question, some people on this forum need to get off their computers and do something useful!

What a really sick thing to say Slick Rick.

We get the helicopter over Gleadless quite a lot where there doesn't seem to be much crime, although saying that we are right next to the Manor so maybe there's more crime there? Fortunately it comes over during the day or early evening mostly, it would bug the hell out of me too if it was in the middle of the night all the time! I would love to know who they're looking for/following too, I assume every time it's overhead that's what they're doing?

Can't believe some of the responses on this thread to a perfectly normal question, some people on this forum need to get off their computers and do something useful!

excuse me?

the OP asked what does the helicopter do and I know for a fact that the helicopter was sent up to look for a friend of mine's mother in law who had disappeared from home late a night.

i was pointing out that the helicopter is not just used for criminal activities.

I saw a tv program about police work following a car chase where the criminals abandoned the stolen vehicle and ran to hide in local gardens, on the ground it was hard to see them but the police helicopter could quickly track them with it's infra red sensor. I think they are also used for detecting the 'hotspots' that could indicate equipment used to grow cannabis so they are useful for crime detection. The early morning noise is, as others have said, because criminals don't work 9-5, it's like the noise of police sirens. I think people who complain about the helicopters would also complain if the police didn't do everything possible to catch criminals.

I was told this week by a friend of mine who works for SYP that a National Air Support Scheme is to be introduced, which, will result in the loss of SY99 in South Yorkshire by 2012, mainly due to the current cuts the Police Nationally are facing over the coming years. :(

He stated that we will be `serviced` most likely by a Helicopter based in the GMP area with a rough flying time of 20 minutes !!!

At least it will mean an end to dangerous high speed pursuits as the criminals will have time to take a leisurely stroll away from the crime scene :loopy:

Sure the savings will be huge, but the results speak for itself. The resulting impact on crime will be massive :help:

Bye bye big noisy bird in the sky....!!

Finally get some kip of an evening. :D

Guess the cops are going to have to invest in some training shoes so they can actually catch crooks the old fashioned way..! :hihi:

Police helicopter coming from manchester..??

Guess they got no crime of their own over there then seeing as they have spare time to fly 40miles to sheff..!

Edited by blahblahbla

Why do people think it is a wind up? I am genuinely interested (and annoyed!) at the amount of times it is flying over in the early mornings. Like I said, I know they are doing police work - I merely wondered what? Someone has mentioned infra-red cameras which I kind of gathered - but how useful are they? Seriously I am not winding anyone up! Thanks. (Oh and thanks for your comments on the area I live in!)

Try watching a few police programmes,there is one on from time to time and it includes being filmed from sierra Yankee 99.Im not sure if i am correct, but ive heard its a few hundred quid each time it takes off + we now have 2 helis.

Edited by Total Chaos

hkjdwhjkhcjhfdjskvhjksfhjvekswao

Dont talk rubbish,i dont believe a word your saying :hihi:

hkjdwhjkhcjhfdjskvhjksfhjvekswao

its that gobbledigoupe lingo:loopy:

+ we now have 2 helis.

Have we..?

when did that happen..!!

Does that mean both are being scrapped.?

Just waiting for the release of the new x-rated movie entitled wot the copper chopper saw released in conjunction with velux roof windows.:blush::shocked: