South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

Under the National Police Air Service proposals South Yorkshire will be covered by:

Carr Gate, Wakefield (West Yorkshire)

Ripley (Derbyshire)

Humberside Airport (Humberside)

A table of response times to key areas in South Yorkshire can be oufnd here http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHome/PoliceHome/PoliceHelicopter.aspx

Will "save £15m from the current overall spending of £66m". If that's true it's a good deal.

A table of response times to key areas in South Yorkshire can be oufnd here http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHome/PoliceHome/PoliceHelicopter.aspx

Thanks, that's the page I couldn't remember

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helicopters. But I'd like to see some actual statistics before I'm committed by the vague claims in the opening post.

So based on the table in the link provided response times will increase at least by 3x and as much as 7x depending which helicopter is available.

HOWEVER those times don't include the time it takes for SYP to call the control room and get a helicopter authorised IF one is available.

So there will be times when SYP NEED air support and it won't be available.

...So there will be times when SYP NEED air support and it won't be available.

No, 'So there might be times when SYP NEED air support and it won't be available.'

Ultimately, it will come down to cost. SYPD could have 3 helicopters - if somebody was prepared to pay for them.

I think it would be a good thing to keep the helicopter.

If a child goes missing, if somebody is stranded and the publicly funded (through charity) air ambulance is unavailable, the publicly funded (through taxation) police helicopter can be a utilised to help.

Being partial to the odd joint though, I don't like the fact it is used to search for cannabis farms, disrupting a vital supply chain and forcing prices sky high, in turn depriving the local economy.

Since it's introduction car crime has dropped massively, and road deaths have declined also, which makes me question the increase cost of insurance (which is enforced by the police and seems only to serve the purpose of enriching bankers and fraudsters). But less car thefts, and also (in turn) less road deaths is a good thing. What price do you put on a life?

due to the cost involed in keeping it in the skies within tracking criminals from the chopper wether they are on foot or vehicles when they are cuffed and stuffed the courts should charge them with an extra separate fine which will then upkeep the cost in running it.

Looking at the table of response times from takeoff it looks like a major drop off in service assuming any of the other helicopters are actually available.

I think it would be a good thing to keep the helicopter.

There's no argument about whether or not helicopters are useful. The question is: "How much money are you prepared to spend on one?"

If a child goes missing, if somebody is stranded and the publicly funded (through charity) air ambulance is unavailable, the publicly funded (through taxation) police helicopter can be a utilised to help.

If Sheffield is going to have a helicopter with a 5 minute (as opposed to 25 minute) response time and if that helicopter is to be funded from general (as opposed to local) taxes, shouldn't everywhere else in the UK have the same service?

What price do you put on a life?

That's an emotive question, but it's also one which is asked (and answered) fairly often in the NHS. Do we treat this person with drug A - which is very expensive - or do we use the money to buy 3 courses of drug B and treat 3 patients? Not all treatments are available and there is no doubt that cost comes into the equation.

due to the cost involed in keeping it in the skies within tracking criminals from the chopper wether they are on foot or vehicles when they are cuffed and stuffed the courts should charge them with an extra separate fine which will then upkeep the cost in running it.

I can see the argument ... but why stop there? Traffic cars cost a lot to operate. Should there be a surcharge on drivers who are pulled over by a traffic policeman (and subsequently convicted of an offence)?

Even policemen on foot are expensive to operate. Why not pay the police a bonus for each conviction?

It would stop all those namby-pamby 'warnings' and cautions. Payment by results! An enterprising policeman might be able to nick 2 or 3 people every shift.;). They could even have competitions! - The person who brings in the most funding through fines gets a prize!

If Sheffield is going to have a helicopter with a 5 minute (as opposed to 25 minute) response time and if that helicopter is to be funded from general (as opposed to local) taxes, shouldn't everywhere else in the UK have the same service?

That's the thing though, we do pay for it through local taxes.

We pay a tax on top of general council tax to fund SYP and the SYFS. I've not seen any figures as to how much this tax will be reduced if we have reduced coverage.

If it's central government who are trying to take the helicopter away and if central government contribute to Police funding in S. Yorks they could argue that they contribute towards the costs of running the helicopter.

If it can be shown that the helicopter is funded locally and that funding is separate from other Police funding, then the central government could simply be told to bugger off.

If the people of Sheffield wish to fund a helicopter, they are quite entitled to do so.

If it's central government who are trying to take the helicopter away and if central government contribute to Police funding in S. Yorks they could argue that they contribute towards the costs of running the helicopter.

If it can be shown that the helicopter is funded locally and that funding is separate from other Police funding, then the central government could simply be told to bugger off.

If the people of Sheffield wish to fund a helicopter, they are quite entitled to do so.

The declared budget for the helicopter unit is just short of 1,700,000 pounds per year.

Devide that by the number tax payers in the county..!

The declared budget for the helicopter unit is just short of 1,700,000 pounds per year.

Devide that by the number tax payers in the county..!

2010 census

sheffield 238,295

Barnsley 104,934

Rotherh 107,695

total 450,924.

1,700,000 divided by 450,924 =

3.77 per household per year..

You could factor in an extra 250,000 pounds per year perhaps for future helicopter procurement. (and thats a generous figure)

Brings it up to 4.32 per house per year.

2010 census

sheffield 238,295

Barnsley 104,934

Rotherh 107,695

total 450,924.

1,700,000 divided by 450,924 =

3.77 per household per year..

You could factor in an extra 250,000 pounds per year perhaps for future helicopter procurement. (and thats a generous figure)

Brings it up to 4.32 per house per year.

So basically if we all paid a fiver a year (approx 10p a week) we'd easily fund it.

I'd be up for paying that and I suspect a lot of people would be.

10p a week is nothing even for those on JSA.