South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

i'm told it cost the tax payers £1,000 a day

if this is payed for by all 1.75million people who live in South Yorkshire

then that's about 21p each a year, bargain I say!

yeah but not all the 1.75 million people ARE paying taxes..!!

So are we now paying for the helicopter in manchester too..???

3 scum bag burglars, 6 car thieves, 1 mugger, These are just a few of the one's I know of in North Sheffield alone. The chopper covers all of Sheffield area and we see it every night. 9 time out of ten they get their man. So when I see it over my home and the noise wakes me up, I am glad we have it.

yeah but not all the 1.75 million people ARE paying taxes..!!

So are we now paying for the helicopter in manchester too..???

I don't know.

Ask your local councilor to find out maybe?

And even if only half are paying taxes that's still only 42p and still a bargain

well maybe

but i cant see how many crooks they are going to catch when they have to travel over from manchester first..!!

Personally i'd rather pay another ten pence and keep the one at sheffield..!

I'd rather have the Sheffield based one too.

But obviously the people who make the decisions don't think the same way.

I know where your coming from, I moved from the sharrow/landsdown area three years ago because of the same problem. the endless nights of being woken

up by the helicopter! I'm a guy that really needs a good night sleep.

living in the better area now fulwood, sleeping like a baby, priceless!! :)

excuse me?

the OP asked what does the helicopter do and I know for a fact that the helicopter was sent up to look for a friend of mine's mother in law who had disappeared from home late a night.

i was pointing out that the helicopter is not just used for criminal activities.

Course you were. That's why you didn't explain it like that in the first place.

well i guess its open season for the burglars to come to sheffield (from manchester) and take peoples cars from their drives, knowing full well that by the time anyone knows whats happened they will well on their way back over the hill on the M62..!

another quality decision by SYP..

It's in the news today that the South Yorkshire police helicopters will most likely be scrapped and replaced by a National Police Air Service by April 2012 to save money.

I support that. The helicopter is way too expensive to be used for trivial crime such as catching joy riders or amateur cannabis growers. I see the need for a helicopter for more serious issues, but not for it to be used for catching minor criminals.

But how will Sheffield Forum cope without all the police helicopter threads? Will extra bandwidth be freed up in South Yorkshire?

It's in the news today that the South Yorkshire police helicopters will most likely be scrapped and replaced by a National Police Air Service by April 2012 to save money.

I support that. The helicopter is way too expensive to be used for trivial crime such as catching joy riders or amateur cannabis growers. I see the need for a helicopter for more serious issues, but not for it to be used for catching minor criminals.

But how will Sheffield Forum cope without all the police helicopter threads? Will extra bandwidth be freed up in South Yorkshire?

Police push bike seen in S6. (Squeeky noise waking me up)

Bobby on the beat seen on Manor? (What's going on?)

Police update, Woodhouse safer neighbour hood team;

Reports of youths committing anti social behaviour and use of off road motorbikes, culprits apprehended by foot patrol whom lied in wait at the local petrol station.

New Police Cars for Yorkshire

Does anyone know what the police helicopter does all the time up there? Please no smart alec answers - but it wakes me up regularly - most recent was Weds night/Thurs morning - over Sharrow/London Road at 2am. I would love to know what they are doing up there? What they can see? Etc etc ... it must cost a fortune. I did ring them once but of course they couldn't tell me - I demand to know! Would a FOI request work do you think?

Yeah, it was TWO nights on the trot AND all it did was circle round and round for ages. No search spotlight to suggest that it was tracking anyone. It went on for ages, both nights and then went. Even I thought of calling them myself, but thought a totally waste of time!