South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

It patrols S6 and costs roughly 1/100th of the Burngreave benefit bill.

Okay..lets get one thing straight...the helicopter doesn't fly to look for drugs on a regular basis, only if specially requested, it is only requested ( because it cost quite alot to fly) when it is something serious, for example to name a few.. armed robbery, stolen car in pursuit, if there has been a serious assault, any kind of dangerous situation, football fan problems....there are many more but I always feel more secure to hear the chopper because they can be the eye in the air and catch the litle <removed> that are committing the crimes.... personal opinion ofcourse....

Edited by Andy
removed masked swearing

The chopper makes sure the people in the scummier areas of the city are keeping the right side of the law. And the occasional rescue.

The chopper makes sure the people in the scummier areas of the city are keeping the right side of the law. And the occasional rescue.

It's over ecclesall loads to and all areas. Stinky attitude

It's over ecclesall loads to and all areas. Stinky attitude

..because Ecclesall road provides an escape route out of the city for the inner-city crims.

..because Ecclesall road provides an escape route out of the city for the inner-city crims.

So do alot of roads. The helicopter is all over the show. Criminals don't just limit themselves to the inner city or selected scummy areas.

Well at the moment it is circling Batemoor protecting all the families that are without power from the Theft of copper wire in the sub station.

Pretty good use if you ask me.

Does anyone know what the police helicopter does all the time up there? Please no smart alec answers - but it wakes me up regularly - most recent was Weds night/Thurs morning - over Sharrow/London Road at 2am. I would love to know what they are doing up there? What they can see? Etc etc ... it must cost a fortune. I did ring them once but of course they couldn't tell me - I demand to know! Would a FOI request work do you think?

yeah i live in this area as was woken as well as it was hovering and circling above the area fairly low about 1.40 am for 20 mins or so. i sleep with the window open so it seemed very loud, my guess it was tracking joy riders or crims that speed down abbeydale from batemore, lowedges area on a regular basis.

note: this is not to smear those areas but it based on factual police reports of car theft etc. known problem in a well know problematic area

Does anyone know what the police helicopter does all the time up there? Please no smart alec answers - but it wakes me up regularly - most recent was Weds night/Thurs morning - over Sharrow/London Road at 2am. I would love to know what they are doing up there? What they can see? Etc etc ... it must cost a fortune. I did ring them once but of course they couldn't tell me - I demand to know! Would a FOI request work do you think?

Dont worry mate it wont be waking you up for much longer, theyre getting rid of it 'cos of the budget cuts..!

Lets face it where ever you live in South Yorkshire. the Helicopter is going

to disturb your sleep at some time or other. If it helps to cut down on

crime I am all for it. I do not believe it hovers over the same area every night

as some would have us believe.

it goes out looking for old ladies with alzheimers who have got lost late at night.