South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

I once heard that even though they are over an area, with the cameras they have onboard it could be working miles away (not sure on the figures)

Very true, as a former tank gunner on challenger II I can confirm that IR & thermal but IR in particular have quite a range on them and I believe you could zoom to recognise a persons face from about 2.5 miles.

Why do people think it is a wind up? I am genuinely interested (and annoyed!) at the amount of times it is flying over in the early mornings. Like I said, I know they are doing police work - I merely wondered what? Someone has mentioned infra-red cameras which I kind of gathered - but how useful are they? Seriously I am not winding anyone up! Thanks. (Oh and thanks for your comments on the area I live in!)

The police will soon be using near silent unmanned spy drones, a sort of CCTV in the sky. These can be very close without anyone even realising they are there.

I don't know why they just don't get it over with and install cameras in everyones homes. After all if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/sep/24/police-unmanned-surveillance-drones

Why do people think it is a wind up? I am genuinely interested (and annoyed!) at the amount of times it is flying over in the early mornings. Like I said, I know they are doing police work - I merely wondered what? Someone has mentioned infra-red cameras which I kind of gathered - but how useful are they? Seriously I am not winding anyone up! Thanks. (Oh and thanks for your comments on the area I live in!)

It's alright, I live pretty close by so I know what it's like.

Yeah they are very good, quite a lot of fun as well first time you use them. Its just basically like a black and White film, fantastic.

I believe the helicopter does spend a bit of time in the evening using the heat seeking devices over properties looking for drug growing as it can pick up the heat source from the lights used to grow these

Thank you for all the answers - I'll still be annoyed though!

Maybe you should write to SYP and state that you don't want a police presence or assistance in your area between the hours of 0000hrs and 0600hrs.

I'm sure that given the public service cuts they will be more than keen to not resource another undesirable/cheap/crime ridden area of the city to deal with other issues in the city at night?

Surely you ARE really having a laugh or if not, you really have lost the plot!

Failing that....MOVE!

What you should do is request that the helicopter only flies overhead during office hours, and then start another thread asking why the police don't seem to catch burglars during the evening.

There seems a be a Police Helicopter fetish on the forum. many a thread with "what was the police helicopter doing over ....." or Did anyone spot the police helicopter over ......., i wonder why they were there?" For god's sake, they were after someone!!!!!!!! Now stop it...you're giving my arse a headache! :hihi:

There seems a be a Police Helicopter fetish on the forum. many a thread with "what was the police helicopter doing over ....." or Did anyone spot the police helicopter over ......., i wonder why they were there?" For god's sake, they were after someone!!!!!!!! Now stop it...you're giving my arse a headache! :hihi:

Don't be so ridiculous.