Sheffield's school league tables - well theres a shock

Sonia Sharp is leaving Sheffield, you will be pleased to hear...

I wondered why there was dancing in the streets. Good riddance to a vile and incompetent example of public sector management. It's a pity she leaves behind such a legacy of blighted young lives. Those kids won't be comforted through life on a 6 figure salary. You have to feel sorry for the kids in the area she is moving to. With her track record she should be unemployable.

I wondered why there was dancing in the streets. Good riddance to a vile and incompetent example of public sector management. It's a pity she leaves behind such a legacy of blighted young lives. Those kids won't be comforted through life on a 6 figure salary. You have to feel sorry for the kids in the area she is moving to. With her track record she should be unemployable.

Is Australia far enough away for you? The Telegraph will have more details tomorrow, I believe.

Well the school league tables are here, and here we have the results

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/education/school_tables/secondary/11/html/five_gcses_373.stm?compare=

Now, at the top we have Birkdale, which happens to be a fee paying school, followed by Sheffield High School, and in the top 5 we have all the schools that happen to be in the leafy well to do parts of sheffield (what a suprise)

Looking at the bottom, we have the likes of Chaucer Business and Enterprise (lets hope the enterprise part is better than the pass rates), Sheffield Park Academy (the word Academy has popped up again), Sheffield Springs Academy (ooh - the word Academy) and Firth Park. Not suprisingly, the schools in the bottom tend to be in the rougher parts of Sheffield.

(I'm sure selection by how wealthy your parents were didn't happen under the grammer system).

Anyway, are we to assume that the teaching staff in the worst performing schools are rubbish, and the staff at Silverdale are fantastic? or can we assume that the teachers at Firth Park have a harder job than a teacher at Birkdale?

The teacher at Firth Park probably has to deal with kids who struggle with English, have problematic familys, headed by a lone parent with a never ending string of waster men coming in and out, and the kids in the rougher areas probably have a male role model that is hardly someone to look up to.

Meanwhile in Silverdale, the biggest problem faced by the parents is probably how close they can get the 4x4 car to the school entrance so little timmy does not have to walk too far to get into school.

They do say that the grammer school system was elitest, and so this was roundly rejected by the liberal establishment. The liberal eliete belive the current system promotes fairness for all, provided you have good wages which many members of the liberal eliete do have - and hence send their own offspring to the best schools in Sheffield - meanwhile the poorest kids, have to make do with the worst of life chances - often promoted by policys that the liberal eliete support.

And they said Grammer Schools were unfair?

It boils down to parenting and a childs home life.

I think that's a potentially controversial point though I do agree in part. Good teachers can make the difference but don't carry the weighting that parenting and home life does.

I reckon 75% good parenting and home home life + 25% good teaching = success for child.

I think that's a potentially controversial point though I do agree in part. Good teachers can make the difference but don't carry the weighting that parenting and home life does.

I reckon 75% good parenting and home home life + 25% good teaching = success for child.

I agree parenting , or lack of it, makes a huge difference. Some of the parents who's boys go to Birkdale aren't loaded and make a lot of sacrifices for them to attend. Partly due to this they are very keen for their child to succeed and interest in their well being not only shows in the results but in the behavior of many of these boys. All the boys strive to achieve good results and it's cool to be clever, unlike , unfortunately at some other schools.

It doesn't matter where the teachers teach, if the little brats don't want to learn or do the effort there's little that can be done.

Its easy to say that schools in council areas are full of kids who just want to be like their parents and live a life on welfare, but some of the most intelligent, hard working kids I've known have come from this background - myself included.

Well said!

My two kids were brought up on one of the roughest council estates and both have done very well in their chosen careers. Neither have ever claimed benefits (and neither have I or my OH).

Is Australia far enough away for you? The Telegraph will have more details tomorrow, I believe.

Six feet under would be plenty far enough away for me.

Are we still able to deport criminals there? I thought we had stopped that a while ago.

We all thought Sheffield City Council couldn't do any worse than the hapless Crossley-Holland. Then they found Sonia Sharp. I am sure Mothersole is already trawling the gutters for the next useless, overpaid, undertalented candidate. I've said it before and I'll say it again. With Sheffield's reputation for loony left politics we simply cannot attract good people into our public services. The third rate Sonia Sharp proved it admirably.

With the role losing power through schools becoming independent academies they will be able to recruit at cheaper grade

Sonia Sharp is in charge of children's social services, not just education. Her record on education is abysmal but her performance in child social services borders on child abuse. It was also one of the first things she cut funding for.

The 11+ was an iniquitous exam.

Let's not pretend it had anything to do with intelligence. My local grammar school had a four form entry of 30 pupils, a total of 120 people. Have a guess how many people were worthy of a grammar school education after the 11+ exam.

Correct, 120 were deemed suitable. What a remarkable coincidence eh?

Well the school league tables are here, and here we have the results

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/education/school_tables/secondary/11/html/five_gcses_373.stm?compare=

Now, at the top we have Birkdale, which happens to be a fee paying school, followed by Sheffield High School, and in the top 5 we have all the schools that happen to be in the leafy well to do parts of sheffield (what a suprise)

Looking at the bottom, we have the likes of Chaucer Business and Enterprise (lets hope the enterprise part is better than the pass rates), Sheffield Park Academy (the word Academy has popped up again), Sheffield Springs Academy (ooh - the word Academy) and Firth Park. Not suprisingly, the schools in the bottom tend to be in the rougher parts of Sheffield.

(I'm sure selection by how wealthy your parents were didn't happen under the grammer system).

Anyway, are we to assume that the teaching staff in the worst performing schools are rubbish, and the staff at Silverdale are fantastic? or can we assume that the teachers at Firth Park have a harder job than a teacher at Birkdale?

The teacher at Firth Park probably has to deal with kids who struggle with English, have problematic familys, headed by a lone parent with a never ending string of waster men coming in and out, and the kids in the rougher areas probably have a male role model that is hardly someone to look up to.

Meanwhile in Silverdale, the biggest problem faced by the parents is probably how close they can get the 4x4 car to the school entrance so little timmy does not have to walk too far to get into school.

They do say that the grammer school system was elitest, and so this was roundly rejected by the liberal establishment. The liberal eliete belive the current system promotes fairness for all, provided you have good wages which many members of the liberal eliete do have - and hence send their own offspring to the best schools in Sheffield - meanwhile the poorest kids, have to make do with the worst of life chances - often promoted by policys that the liberal eliete support.

And they said Grammer Schools were unfair?

when i was a kid...you had to pass an exam to get into chaucer and firth park...how times have changed....