The old 'Sheffield Sounds' forum

I think its a real shame that it died because talking over facebook just doesn't have the same "community feel". L2SB was the best for it from what I remember there were always at least 10 or 20 people online at any one time which was awesome.

Like Jared said though, it's such a huge job to keep a forum like that in order. Every one of those forums had gig calendars that simply weren't used because bands thought it a better idea to just spam the "General Discussion" board with gig postings or EP releases, I think that probably contributed to the admins giving up.

It's a shame (for us) that leeds still has http://www.leedsmusicscene.net which is really popular, people stick to the rules and it has enough people willing to admin

......kinda feels like Leeds has won this round :mad:

I think its a real shame that it died because talking over facebook just doesn't have the same "community feel". L2SB was the best for it from what I remember there were always at least 10 or 20 people online at any one time which was awesome.

Like Jared said though, it's such a huge job to keep a forum like that in order. Every one of those forums had gig calendars that simply weren't used because bands thought it a better idea to just spam the "General Discussion" board with gig postings or EP releases, I think that probably contributed to the admins giving up.

It's a shame (for us) that leeds still has http://www.leedsmusicscene.net which is really popular, people stick to the rules and it has enough people willing to admin

......kinda feels like Leeds has won this round :mad:

I really enjoyed both L2SB and Soundaloud and also Sandman before it got a bit ambitious with the expansion.

We were pretty lucky to have people like Pete and Matt Mella, Paul and Jan around at that time and I think it showed with the success of several bands that came out of Sheffield around that time.

I'm well out of touch with what's happening in Sheffield music these days but from 2003 to 2007 were a great time.

Hello Sandstone by the way.

I really enjoyed both L2SB and Soundaloud and also Sandman before it got a bit ambitious with the expansion.

We were pretty lucky to have people like Pete and Matt Mella, Paul and Jan around at that time and I think it showed with the success of several bands that came out of Sheffield around that time.

Agreed!!!! :thumbsup:

Hello Sandstone by the way.

Ha ha, that was most excellent! I always loved Sandstone, good to read his contribution to this thread also... ;)

Which reminds me, I really ought to change my username on here..... haha

L2SB had the panache and wit, but Soundaloud had the huge user base and excellent wealth of resources (hat tip to Mr Cooper). ThisCity and SheffieldSounds were, sadly, paler imitations.

Had a look at that SheffieldBand website. Way too many forums IMO.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either this forum or the Sheffield Band forum except the lack of users. If we could somehow attract the old crowd and all the new musicians who have presumably come out of nappies in the meantime, then either could work.

There's nothing inherently wrong with either this forum or the Sheffield Band forum except the lack of users. If we could somehow attract the old crowd and all the new musicians who have presumably come out of nappies in the meantime, then either could work.

The owners are certainly trying (a little too) hard to get it to work. I see Nic's point about too many sub-forums though.

Still - how do you get people to start using something like that? I have an account on it, but have made maybe 3 posts? It just feels like there's no point either a. advertising and event or b. starting a discussion - because hardly anyone's there. Of course, if everyone thinks that....

Ahh...soundaloud and L2SB :)

It was thanks to those sites that I got involved with music locally. I also met a good percentage of folk that I now consider to be good friends though them. Particularly the Soundaloud Showcase events at The Grapes. The Awards were also great fun (you're right Elie, there was only ever two sadly). I think it's true also that the regions music community benefited immensely from those sites and they were, in part, instrumental to the success of the bands around at the time. It's a shame really that there isn't such a cohesive forum like them around anymore. I seem to get a lot more work done nowadays though without them to be honest!

Edited by richford

Of course, if everyone thinks that....

You've just hit the nail on the head. If everyone who went over and had a look on the forum posted an intro or an advert for their upcoming gig or an advert for a new band mate or so on rather than deciding it's all a bit too quiet and moving on, I imagine the situation would be quite a bit different.

Of course, I can't preach, because I have made all of one post and didn't post again when there was no response!

Is there no perceived "scene" because of low forum traffic, or is there low forum traffic because the scene is in a lull? I'm not sure.

The forums went stale when everybody started running scared from confrontations, I don't blame people for wanting to avoid legal issues etc, but they definitely got too safe, so nobody was in a position to say what they thought any more (eg. Violet May suck balls!). The only forum posts left were either back slapping ones or reams of spam. That's what killed off SheffieldSounds, the infiltration of the spambots was just the death rattle.

You cannot create until you destroy as a certain Pockets related band (kinda) said. ;)

If everyone who went over and had a look on the forum posted an intro or an advert for their upcoming gig or an advert for a new band mate or so on rather than deciding it's all a bit too quiet and moving on, I imagine the situation would be quite a bit different.

I disagree - Nothing will kill it off quicker.

Edited by nic_scarlet

Is there no perceived "scene" because of low forum traffic, or is there low forum traffic because the scene is in a lull? I'm not sure.

Who knows? Enough people are popping into this thread that it makes you think there's a bit of an online presence to the scene.