The old 'Sheffield Sounds' forum

Hey folks, quick open question...

I'm sure there must be a few folks using this that remember the Sheffield Sounds forum. As far as I can tell, it died in a tidal wave of spambots - I was wondering if there's any similar place that the users have migrated too... It seemed like a good resource for local musicians back when it was working, and I've not come across anything else that quite fills the gap left.

Has anyone?

:)

i'm personally unaware of the old forum, or migration of users. however i believe myspace and facebook is usually the way a lot of people communicate these days!

what did the other forum have that this one doesnt? maybe if you communicate to the admin, they could try and incorporate some of the features of the other forum here?

^

It's not so much features. I'm thinking more of the particular combination of people - there was a fair number of folks who'd been around the local music scene a while, promoters, band members etc. Just seems like there's no one "knowledge base" for local rock/pop/etc musicians online, at least not one I've found!

yeah. this forum does seem quite slow. there isn't much to do with the day to day stuff either - like bands/promoters posting gig info, discussing local bands etc. seems like a fair few threads on 'singer wanted for...' and not a lot else? though i've not been visiting here too long, so hopefully these comments aren't treading on anyone's toes.

maybe a few more stickies at the top for content? we've got teachers ads and 'don't buy or sell here'

-----------

perhaps:

picture thread - post pics of your gear/instrument/band/self - kinda give people an idea of who they're talking to?

venue list - contact details of venues, what music they put on? paid/unpaid? provide pa? free/fee?

events - whats happening this week and where? where are all the open mic nights held and when?

local music shops - a review section for them?

-----------

i think the forum is only ever gunna be as good as the community - if there's no-one here, then its not going to be too great! - perhaps advertising it's presence would work to get more people on board?

I've seen nothing similar which is a shame really. There were some good folks on that forum and its predecessors, Soundaloud and L2SB, both of which are defunct.

Soundaloud's users mostly went over to Sheffield Sounds which was run by the guys at West Street Live, unfortunately that got spammed so much I think it became unbearable, just checked and not current live http://box537.bluehost.com/suspended.page/disabled.cgi/sheffieldsounds.com

As a member of both they have been a good laugh and interesting but it's a painstaking thing to undertake, I made a site myself once but never went live with it due to not having time for updates etc.

Yes unfortunately we had to let Sheffield Sounds die a slow death owing to us not having the time to administrate it anymore (as a result of running a 7 night a week music venue) and keep the spambots at bay. Not such a bad thing though really being as though bands and musicians make good use of facebook these days.

I didn't realise you guys ran it dude...I remember a few of the usernames in this thread from it actually lol - nowadays all you've REALLY got website-wise is partysounds and joinmyband (I WAS part of bandmeup and what was that other one now...er, bandmix or something but you've gotta pay subscriptions to them which is a bit rediculous when you've got free ones out there...)

I've seen nothing similar which is a shame really. There were some good folks on that forum and its predecessors, Soundaloud and L2SB, both of which are defunct.

L2SB! That's going back a bit, you're showing your age Elie!

I think Soundaloud and Sheffield Sounds both had a similar atmosphere (and members) to L2SB, its a shame they're gone even for those of us who just like a trip down memory lane every so often.

What happened to Soundalouds Sheffield Music Awards? Did Paulo and Jason stop doing them? They used to be fun too.

L2SB! That's going back a bit, you're showing your age Elie!

I think Soundaloud and Sheffield Sounds both had a similar atmosphere (and members) to L2SB, its a shame they're gone even for those of us who just like a trip down memory lane every so often.

What happened to Soundalouds Sheffield Music Awards? Did Paulo and Jason stop doing them? They used to be fun too.

How dare you ;-)

I think the Soundaloud Awards stopped at the same time as the website did. I only remember them running for 2 years although I could be wrong about that - they were always very drunken affairs...

Like others, I never clocked it was the Mentholman guys running it. Understandable that time made it hard to maintain!

The closest thing I've seen to the forums (fora?) mentioned is this one... http://www.sheffieldband.co.uk/ - it seems pretty empty and under-used though. Realistically, you need the active community for these things to work - it just sometimes surprises me that there isn't more demand, given the number of musical folks in Sheffield...

Yes, it was with quite some sadness that we had to let Sheffield Sounds die.

In it's heyday, it was the place to check for news on the latest bands, gigs and general thoughts about local music of all genres. And quite a bit of heated discussion and a lot of twaddle too...

It really was a time issue for us and the overwhelming invasion of the spambots that made us call it a day for the site.

But I agree, there is nowhere for local music related discussion anymore. L2SB, Soundaloud and Sheffield Sounds brought lots of musicians together too.

*sigh*