If animals not meant to be eaten by humans, why are they made of meat ??

Nice try. Early man wasn't being paid for his work. He hunted he killed he ate. The food wasn't presented as a reward for the work involved in killing it, it was his because he killed it.

Animals being rewarded with food do not regard it as a payment to them it's natural to get some of the kill whether it is shot with a gun or scooped from a tin.

How well do you think it would sit with a prospective employer when he asks what you've done in the past.

'Well for the last 18 months i've been eating food for a living.'

But making doesn't have to involve payment:

• make a bed
  • make a fire
  • make a kill
  • make a living

No money need be involved.

But making doesn't have to involve payment:

• make a bed
  • make a fire
  • make a kill
  • make a living

No money need be involved.

Not in the first three no, these relate to objects or things but that fourth one does.

If a crook goes straight he makes an honest living. He no longer steals, he now works to earn money.

Nice try. Early man wasn't being paid for his work. He hunted he killed he ate. The food wasn't presented as a reward for the work involved in killing it, it was his because he killed it.

Animals being rewarded with food do not regard it as a payment to them it's natural to get some of the kill whether it is shot with a gun or scooped from a tin.

How well do you think it would sit with a prospective employer when he asks what you've done in the past.

'Well for the last 18 months i've been eating food for a living.'

They didn't all hunt, some did other things and for the work they did they was given food, the whole pride of lions doesn't hunt yet some are rewarded with food for what they do. To make a living one doesn't need to be given money.

They didn't all hunt, some did other things and for the work they did they was given food, the whole pride of lions doesn't hunt yet some are rewarded with food for what they do. To make a living one doesn't need to be given money.

Nope your losing it now. In the case of man we feed members of the family whether they earn it or not. I don't feed my son if he does something for it; although that would slash the bill in half. I feed friends that visit as a gesture of that friendship.

With most animals it's a case of if there's any food left you can have some unless they have young to feed.

Nope your losing it now. In the case of man we feed members of the family whether they earn it or not. I don't feed my son if he does something for it; although that would slash the bill in half. I feed friends that visit as a gesture of that friendship.

With most animals it's a case of if there's any food left you can have some unless they have young to feed.

So now you are saying a housewife and mother doesn’t work for a living, which is the same as making a living.

So now you are saying a housewife and mother doesn’t work for a living, which is the same as making a living.

No I never said that but seeing as you brought it up. No she doesn't and neither did I when I was unemployed. I worked in the house as does a housewife but I wasn't making a living from it.

Edited by Murphy Jnr
spelling

Yes. That's exactly the point we've been making for the last two pages. Making a living does not have to mean being paid to do something; it means acquiring what you need in order to survive.

Yes. That's exactly the point we've been making for the last two pages. Making a living does not have to mean being paid to do something; it means acquiring what you need in order to survive.

Read all the posts. MrSmith suggested that payment came in the form of food for work done in which case the food replaces the money as payment therefore making a living is still paid.

Read all the posts. MrSmith suggested that payment came in the form of food for work done in which case the food replaces the money as payment therefore making a living is still paid.

If you are now agreeing with us, why are you still trying to maintain that survival and making a living are not the same thing? :huh:

If you are now agreeing with us, why are you still trying to maintain that survival and making a living are not the same thing? :huh:

I'm not agreeing with you, the trouble is Mr S keeps throwing curve balls so the thread loses its way. I still maintain that animals do not make a living. They exist only to survive.

Not in the first three no, these relate to objects or things but that fourth one does.

If a crook goes straight he makes an honest living. He no longer steals, he now works to earn money.

Yes and? Whats that got to do with the distinct phrase 'make a living' which makes no reference to money or honesty?

"The first step in domestication could have happened without any planning at all. Hanging around a Stone Age hunting camp and living on scraps left by people would have been an easy way for a wolf to make a living."

“If we are to understand how dolphins make a living in their environment, it is important to understand how dolphins communicate with each other,” said John Finnerty, a BU biology professor.

And you don’t need to be an expert to know that bears can’t live off of snow. In essence, bears are trying to make a living in the only places where there are edible green things growing, where elk are calving, and/or where they can find carrion – which all happen to be at lower elevations, especially this year.

Hunter-Gatherers = groups that make a living exclusively on wild foods and animals.

Maybe you should get in contact with all the people who wrote the quoted text to tell that that they're wrong to use the phrase "make a living" in any sense other than a human, monetary one.

Yes and? Whats that got to do with the distinct phrase 'make a living' which makes no reference to money or honesty?

It has everything to do with the phrase doesn't it. Make a living stealing money or items to sell on for money. Make an 'honest' living earning money in the conventional way.

"The first step in domestication could have happened without any planning at all. Hanging around a Stone Age hunting camp and living on scraps left by people would have been an easy way for a wolf to make a living."

“If we are to understand how dolphins make a living in their environment, it is important to understand how dolphins communicate with each other,” said John Finnerty, a BU biology professor.

And you don’t need to be an expert to know that bears can’t live off of snow. In essence, bears are trying to make a living in the only places where there are edible green things growing, where elk are calving, and/or where they can find carrion – which all happen to be at lower elevations, especially this year.

Hunter-Gatherers = groups that make a living exclusively on wild foods and animals.

Maybe you should get in contact with all the people who wrote the quoted text to tell that that they're wrong to use the phrase "make a living" in any sense other than a human, monetary one.

Or maybe you should understand that the phrase is being used purely to put across a convention that we are familiar with. We find it easier to understand a way of life however alien if we liken it to that of modern man,it's what we do. Our way of life and the terms we use to describe aspects of it are simply transferred