Sign in to follow this  

Any help with mobile/bluetooth please

The general problem as follows;

Have a new mobile which is bluetooth enabled, together with new pc (first one I've had, so hence the novice bit!). The pc isn't bluetooth but I've purchased a dongle and its in the USB port.

Have 2 disks, 1 for the phone, 1 for the dongle. Loaded both but don't seem to be getting any further than that.

I know its a very generic question, but any obvious things I'm missing or suggestions please.

Any help most appreciated.

Have you tried to install the dongle through the add hardware wizard that's in the Windows control panel?

That usually works... Well it did when I installed the dongle I bought for my phone a while back.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Which operating system? Ive found bluetooth to be more reliable with Windows XP, and even better if service pack 2 is installed. And which phone? My own bluetooth dongle seems to work better if I just plug it in and let windows install it, rather than using the disk that came with it. Assuming youre using XP with SP2, try removing the dongle through add/remove programs, then just plugging it in and using the generic windows driver for it.

the most obvious things are...

1) Do you get the "New device found / Installing Device" box on screen when you plug in the Dongle...

2) If that happens, do you get the BlueTooth icon on your tray (Near you clock) or in the control panel??

3) If all that Is ok, Make sure your phone has BlueTooth turned on..

4) open up the BlueTooth icon in windows (tray or control panel) and you need to Add a new Device, - Make Sure your phone has discovery on (some phones dont need this, as its auto)

5) Search for your phone, and follow the on screen instructions for the PassKey etc...

6) There should now be various Bluetooth devices installed, you can right click the icon near your clock and send/recieve a file, if there is no icon, you can enable it via the control panel option, under the OPTIONS tab, and the bottom tick box..

If all this is ok, and you can atleast get to stage 5, (Searching/finding your phone) then you should install the Phones CD rom for various things like clock Synch, phone book backup, Calendar synch etc...

Personally, like slh73 said, I diddnt use the Dongle's CD Rom, Windows found it on its own...

Hope this helps.. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. haven't had time to try any as yet.