Help and advice starting my business up

i have just taking first steps in running my business,basically its more of a pastime,than a money or wage earner.

iv sorted out advertising,

i have insurance to sort and self employment things,im all new to this.and feeling very bamboozled tbh.

what do i need to do/whats required by law.

What business is it you are starting? I've sent you a pm.

Get yourself a good accountant and a good business plan. Starting your own business is never easy and can be a scary concept but if you have good professionals in place to point you in the right direction you should be fine. Good luck!

i have just taking first steps in running my business,basically its more of a pastime,than a money or wage earner.

i have insurance to sort and self employment things,im all new to this.and feeling very bamboozled tbh.

You didn't send your phone number with your pm. I'm only contactable on my mobile tomorrow. I may be back in the office late afternoon.

Thanks

Cheryl

You don't need an accountant at this stage, you simply need support and advice on how to manage money. Get in touch with SENTA Sheffield Enterprise Agency - it is based at the Chamber offices on Saville Street, they should be able to help

First of all you need to go to HM Inland Revenue and Customs office and register as Self Employed. (Don't worry the Taxman won't bite your head off, actually he's very helpful and will explain to you everything you have to do with regards to tax matters).

If you are working alone and do not intend setting on an employee (paid or voluntary) then you do not need Employers Liability Insurance. However, you will need to purchase Public and Product Liability Insurance. (The best insurance to purchase is 'Combined Insurance Cover' which consists of Employers, Public and Product Liability Insurance all in one package and costs about 355 pounds).

When you've done the two things above let me know, so I can be the first person to welcome you to the Wonderful World of Business.

First of all you need to go to HM Inland Revenue and Customs office and register as Self Employed. (Don't worry the Taxman won't bite your head off, actually he's very helpful and will explain to you everything you have to do with regards to tax matters).

If you are working alone and do not intend setting on an employee (paid or voluntary) then you do not need Employers Liability Insurance. However, you will need to purchase Public and Product Liability Insurance. (The best insurance to purchase is 'Combined Insurance Cover' which consists of Employers, Public and Product Liability Insurance all in one package and costs about 355 pounds).

When you've done the two things above let me know, so I can be the first person to welcome you to the Wonderful World of Business.

She doesn't need product liability as she doesn't have a product. She just needs public liability insurance. If she was giving 'advice' or if there was a technical aspect to the service then professional indemnity insurance would be required. As a sole trader she just needs public liability insurance.

Do you have a website, always looks more professional and a good investment

The same title thread has gone by 100 times so I think all the basics are covered in the business section of SF.

I think you need to be a bit more specific JennyCakes, I take it that is your hobby/business too or to asume makes an ASs of U and ME.

For websites that work try Seorch portfolio, catalogue and ecommerce websites designed with google and ebay in mind.

I would like to add that small businesses are leading the way so the dinosaur big businesses better watch out. Big business service sucks and customers want to talk to the people that count.

Edited by SportsTrophy

I would like to add that small businesses are leading the way so the dinosaur big businesses better watch out. Big business service sucks and customers want to talk to the people that count.

Well said SportsTrophy!