Rhubarb Crown Wanted

Hi,

Has anyone got a rhubarb crown they would be willing to part with?

Thanks for looking, Sue

Hi,

Thanks for looking, Sue

What's one of them? I reckon Prince Charles would like one.

Its a bit early to see them yet. Mine hasn't sprouted shoots above ground yet.

Hi,

Thanks for looking, Sue

Its a bit early to see them yet. Mine hasn't sprouted shoots above ground yet.

Sorry split mine last year, but now is the perfect time to do it whilst the plants are still dormant. Although with the mild weather at the end of last year some may alrady be growing again/still by now.

Sorry for hi-jacking the post. My neighbour gave me a Rhubarb crown last year. It still had the leaves on it and then it died back after a few weeks and I am wondering when I can expect it to start growing or has it died off completely?

Guest sibon

Hi Sally. If it is still alive, you can expect to see shoots in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry split mine last year, but now is the perfect time to do it whilst the plants are still dormant. Although with the mild weather at the end of last year some may alrady be growing again/still by now.

Its the right time if you can find it! ;) I keep putting a stick or small canes around mine so I know where it is when its dormant but the dogs pull the canes out. :o

Ours is a monster and started sprouting about 2 weeks ago.

Hi,

Thanks for looking, Sue

You can have half of mine if you dig it up. Produces every year but I rarely use it. S13

regards Mick

Edited by chumpy

You can have half of mine if you dig it up. Produces every year but I rarely use it. S13

regards Mick

What's the big deal with 'Rhubarb Crowns', I just want to know. My bing is whacked, what do you do with them? Thanks.

What's the big deal with 'Rhubarb Crowns', I just want to know. My bing is whacked, what do you do with them? Thanks.

Crowns are just Rhubarb plants. It's the bit (mostly) underground, I guess. Pics here. Rhubarb doesn't tend to grow that well from seed so you usually start a rhubarb patch by either buying a small crown or you can divide larger plants by splitting the crown.

I wouldn't recommend putting them on your head!

Its the right time if you can find it! ;) I keep putting a stick or small canes around mine so I know where it is when its dormant but the dogs pull the canes out. :o

You've either planted it too deep or you've got an awful big garden to lose it in ;)