Getting rid of mould and mildew on pvc windows

We took out our bathroom window and put an exhaust fan in the ceiling.

That's a bit drastic.

Apart from the draught, can't the neighbours see in.:hihi:

My boyfriend and myself live in a rented property and have mould everywhere. It's in every room, on the walls and ceilings. There wasn't any when we moved in last July, it's only since the cold weather started. When we've used the bathroom, we always open the window to let fresh air in but it never helps. When i get rid of the mould, it just comes back again overnight. It's in every room and all the walls are always wet and damp.

The house is so cold, even with the heating on. If you go upstairs, you can see your breath. I sit in the living room with my PJs and dressing gown on, fire and heating on with 3 blankets on me and it's still cold. Noses, toes and finger tips are constantly cold in this house!!

I've tried cleaning the mould off the walls but because the walls are constantly wet, it just brings the paint off too! And the attic (which we can't use at the minute due to the cold and damp) has mould growing all over the carpet!!

I used to have asthma when i was younger and it seems to have come back in the last few months, could this be due to the mould? And does anybody have any ideas how to prevent it?

Angel that cant be good for your health hunny,maybe you need to contact env health or someone.And yes im sure i read somewhere that mould is very bad for asthmatics and the damp cant be doing you any good.

What is the best thing for removing Black Mould from a bathroom ceiling ? Anyone any suggestions please.

Will bleach remove Black Mould from a bathroom ceiling ? Anyone any other suggestions please. ?

Angel, with exposure to that amount of mould your chest will get worse. I would clean with bleach then paint the area with Zinsser Mould and Mildew Proof paint. It is expensive but it does the job. I would also seriously start looking for somewhere else to live. Best of luck.

Thanks spiritangel and stressconsul. The house we live in is quite old and it's really big. It's hard to heat and i don't think it's very well insulated. I think we are going to look for somewhere else to live when the lease ends in July but it'll be quite hard to find somewhere big enough for all our furniture that will let us keep our pets too! We have a large dog and two rats!! It's a shame really as it's such a lovely house and perfect for us in every way (apart from the mould, obviously!)

since me and my husband had the cavity wall insulation done we have experienced mould on the window sills, windows and walls dont know if its connected in some way :suspect:

Yeah the house has got cavity wall insulation, and no air bricks.......

Thanks spiritangel and stressconsul. The house we live in is quite old and it's really big. It's hard to heat and i don't think it's very well insulated. I think we are going to look for somewhere else to live when the lease ends in July but it'll be quite hard to find somewhere big enough for all our furniture that will let us keep our pets too! We have a large dog and two rats!! It's a shame really as it's such a lovely house and perfect for us in every way (apart from the mould, obviously!)

If it's private rented hun, you need to contact the landlord, damp proofing is there resonsablilty...... you should'nt be living like that.....

Bleach is good, you can also buy mildew cleaner from the supermarket. Wear a mask when cleaning - mould can be very bad for the chest. It is possible the house has a ventilation problem - check the airbricks are clear and also be careful of moisture from drying laundry, cooking and showering.

The house does not have air bricks, it does have cavity wall insulation.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

If my house has no air bricks.....how can i prevent anyting coming back........

If my house has no air bricks.....how can i prevent anyting coming back........

It's very unlikely that your house has no air bricks at all, but they may be under floor level or hidden by cupboards or similar. Blocked up chimneys often have an air brick in them too. There are air bricks on the front wall under floor level in my house, and in the kitchen behind 2 of the cupboards.

You can enhance ventilation whether you have air bricks or not though, by:

leaving windows open where possible, if only on the 'ventilation setting' that most modern windows have,

not drying laundry on racks or radiators around the house unless you have the window open and a fan directing the air to the open window,

taking care when cooking to always put the lid on pans and open the kitchen window when draining things which have been boiled or steamed,

also opening the window if you empty the dishwasher or tumble dryer- you'd be amazed how much steam is released,

ventilating bathrooms very carefully after showers or baths.

You could have a check on the relative humidity levels by buying a hygrometer which is intended for use in insect and snake tanks. Well ventilated homes generally run at about 40-50% humidity in the air. Much more than that and you're at risk of mould, algae and damp issues. My thermometer and hygrometer cost only a fiver.