Doctors refusal to treat patients

Originally posted by depoix

dont the doctors take the oath anymore ? they are supposed to promise to treat the ill and sick no matter who, or what is wrong with them. i dont reckon its the doctors to blame,more like the managment or civil servants

thats the trouble they want to save money then throw it away

on summat else its our money to be spent on the people who deserve it not directors(jobs for the boys etc )swanning about in big cars its there where savings can be and should be made

Originally posted by Gethical

I was referring to those who was saying about charging people. I didn't say that people shouldn't take doctors advice. If overeating is not a medical problem then it's a social problem. Either way - all should be treated no matter the circumstances to that problem.

I said 'I SEE THE PROBLEM WITH MONEY' thus referring to a previous post about money. I didn't say 'THE PROBLEM IS MONEY' - True story ;)

No, over-eating is not usually a social problem. If people stuff their faces with Big Macs or pizzas, then it's basically a lack of self-control and an inability to get snouts out of trough.

There are occasions when people have poor diets because of lack of money - but even then....go to the market, not the supermarket!

Re. Money - apologies - as you said

Less money at wars and more money at health care would be a better idea.

that appeared to me to be a plea for more money. The problem with money is not necessarily the amount, it's the allocation. It's sexier to spend money on large capital expenditure like scanners and such than it is to spend teh same amount on preventative health care.

A scanner requires ongoing highly skilled staff and expensive ongoing servicing, upgrads, etc. It's not just a capital expense, it's revenue as well. It will save lives but nowhere near as many as an effective programme of health education backed up with a more consequence driven delivery of care.

Joe

Originally posted by JoeP

No, over-eating is not usually a social problem. If people stuff their faces with Big Macs or pizzas, then it's basically a lack of self-control and an inability to get snouts out of trough.

It's primarily a psychological problem - and that too is something that the NHS should treat, but alas anything to do with mental health is underfunded.

The medical proessionals are there to make people better, not to make moral judgements. That's why the person smashed up after they have driven home drunk is treated, just as is the person who has slept around and caught the clap, just as is the cyclist with injuries to his n*ts. That's what the NHS is about.

I know it *seems* wrong to treat self-inflicted illnesses and injuries, but what's the alternative? Have a load of sick and injured people and their families on benefits and relying on social services? Let people suffer? :(

This isn't about not treating people whose problems are self-inflicted.

It's about not treating people who don't make any attempt rectify the problem, because its likely it will reoccur and the treament will have been a pointless waste of time anyway.

For example, angioplasty on a smoker. A hospital will undertake the procedure if the smoker agrees to quit, but if they don't and the procedure then needs to be repeated they won't do it again.

Same with the hip and knee replacements in the obese. If they don't lose weight the operation won't be very effective and the implant is likely to encounter problems and require further surgery anyway.

If you had an accident or crashed your car, would'nt you expect your insurance to pay out.

NATIONAL INSURANCE = medical care it's what you pay for.

How about a no claims bonus for those who don't need it.

Originally posted by retep

If you had an accident or crashed your car, would'nt you expect your insurance to pay out.

good idea bit of a rebate if you dont claim say 12 months

they love to take money dont like to part with it as quick

But you often cannot get insurance if you have a drink driving/dangerous driving conviction. And insurance won't pay out if you were drink driving at the time of the accident. Same sort of principle.

But if you can't get insurance you don't have to pay.

It has been widely reported that the NHS Director has informed Doctors not to treat people with disabilties such as cancer if they smoke..... joint operations if they are obese and liver transplants if they drink. Considering how many people fall into these categories it may be possible to halve the waiting time at A&E.

This could be the beginning of a slippery slope..... I mean what next? do we deny treatment for sport injuries as it was self inflicted or deny treatment to drug addicts so they can go on stealing to fund their habit..... do we deny oxygen to asthmatics because they breathe car fumes in the air and do we refuse taxi drivers who have been involved in a crash.

Every person makes a contribution to national insurance and every person has a right to treatment when they fall ill.

Your comments....

No it's not. The NHS is paid for out of taxes (which some people don't pay). NI contributions pay for state pension and other state benefits. As we know the NI pot is empying faster than it is filling hence the prospect of working til you're nearly in the grave.