Occupy Sheffield Cathedral (Part 2)

Obviously, it can be pointed out that they would have done well to actually check first, but, given the location of the citadel, it would be easy to not think that there may be people living in the area.

I may be wrong, but arnt a significant number of the upper floors above shops in the city centre occupied flats?

There's not been any noise :huh:

In all the times I've been down, or, passed by, on one occasion only have I heard amplified music- that was during one of the saturday public engagment events.

Other than that, a few sessions of musical instrument playing towards the start of the occupation- unamplified (flutes, accordian etc) and, i beleive, someone played an organ: all in the middle of the afternoon.

I'm not aware of any noise complaints, which, given that it's the city center, and primarily non-residential, is no surprise.

In one meeting, someone requests some sound-deadening materials, and everyone here jumps to another fantasy conclusion :(

It was not my intention to side-track this thread (yet again); I replied to a previous post because I thought that the request for sound insulation might merely mean the citadel squatters wish to reduce inconvenience to their neighbours, and that it did not imply that they intended to disregard the court-approved leaving date. Hope this clarifies things.

Concerning the citadel- it's worth pointing out that the noise issue was from one incident i.e. the conference after party.

And, the occupiers claim that they had no ides there was a residential property next door, prior to the actual complaint.

Obviously, it can be pointed out that they would have done well to actually check first, but, given the location of the citadel, it would be easy to not think that there may be people living in the area.

I'm not excusing the noise, personally I have a big issue if my neighbours play loud music at night (or indeed, in the daytime)- I've lived in places that I found intolerable cos someone moves in next door and has no appreciation of just what effect constant loud music can have on neighbours.

But, we need to keep a sense of context- it was one incident, and, the occupiers claim that they were unaware there were people next door.

There was one reported incident where the police were called but considering Occupy have made big claims about the amount of work done on that building and I can't see that having been done with no noise.

There was one reported incident where the police were called but considering Occupy have made big claims about the amount of work done on that building and I can't see that having been done with no noise.

I wouldnt have thought bodging the electrics and by-passing the meter straight into the grid and sticking a few buckets under leaks in the roof would be noisy works. :)

Depends on the work doesn't it.

They haven't needed to bother on any cosmetic stuff, so less work needed in general- mainly I'm guessing they're sorting out electrics, water etc.

Any drilling etc, would obviously be done in the daytime, so no worse than any other building being worked on.

Plus, now they're aware of the neighbours, they'll be making sure to keep anyu noise down.

There's not been any noise :huh:

In all the times I've been down, or, passed by, on one occasion only have I heard amplified music- that was during one of the saturday public engagment events.

Other than that, a few sessions of musical instrument playing towards the start of the occupation- unamplified (flutes, accordian etc) and, i beleive, someone played an organ: all in the middle of the afternoon.

I'm not aware of any noise complaints, which, given that it's the city center, and primarily non-residential, is no surprise.

In one meeting, someone requests some sound-deadening materials, and everyone here jumps to another fantasy conclusion :(

Are the OS squatters comfortable breaking the law when it comes to the relevent public liability insurance they are required to take out by law ,or have they taken out the required insurance for say , 5M of cover ,before allowing members of the public into that death trap of a building ?

They haven't needed to bother on any cosmetic stuff, so less work needed in general- mainly I'm guessing they're sorting out electrics, water etc.

Im glad you mentioned the Electrics. Now ,we have all seen the OS video on youtube showing the squatter proudly showing off the electrical handywork . Now would you know if they have obtained the correct safety certificate on completion of the electrical work ( another requirement in law ) ?

Maybe we should keep the Citadel thread and the OS Cathedral thread separate?

So- to be clear- no noise issues from the camp, it's all to do with the citadel.

Yes?

.....and NO they do make noise and it tends to be on a sat when they do the tea and cake stuff.so called music that you can cleary hear in the Cathedral.and talking about cake.....does any one serving the cake have a food hygiene Certificate?

no need for benches as there are plenty round the tram stop as it is.

problem sloved

Yes.I meant dedicated to the cause; an acknowledgement e.g. with plaque so they can move on and it not be forgotten.

Maybe we should keep the Citadel thread and the OS Cathedral thread separate?

The citadel information should be in the citadel thread. After all its feeling very unloved and lonely