Advice please on turning from Rutland Road to Penistone Road

To my mind there is a hint in the (admittedly very poor) road design, in as much as the hazard warning lines are not the same on Penistone Road for all lanes here. The far right lane on Penistone Rd has hazard warning lines extending across the junction. This indicates that traffic from the right hand lane of Rutland Road is changing lanes to use the far right 3rd lane on Penistone Rd and is being warned of the 'hazard' or doing so. Those markings guide turners from the R/H lane on Rutland into the middle lane of Penistone Rd. Therefore the L/H lane should enter the L/H lane on Penistone Rd.

A modicum of anticipation, courtesy and tolerance will outweigh the shortcomings of road layout design every time.

If you need the second lane on Penistone road then be in the second lane as you approach it.

Why do you think being in the first/left hand lane gives you priority to change lanes whilst going through a junction?

If you were sat at the same junction, at lights but going straight ahead, would you assume the same? Why does going around a corner make a difference?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious as to why people think this is ok.

ETA: The basic principle of driving in the UK is to Keep Left, on all roads, including motorways (which is a prime example, you stay in the left hand lane unless you need to overtake)

Because the road joining it (Rutland Road) is 2 lanes which joins a road which is 3 lanes with the inside lane Of Pensitone Road becoming an exit only lane.

So inside lane on Rutland Road is for joining the inside and middle lane, the outside lane of Rutland Road is for joining the outside lane of Penistone Road.

It would be exactly the same if it was a straight junction. People don't think it is ok, they know it is ok as that is how you are supposed to use the junction.

So you think it is ok to change lanes driving through a junction because the lane you've chosen to head towards goes in a different direction than you want, much further down the road. There are at least two other turn offs before it as well.

Don't let the extra third lane confuse you, unless your turning back on yourself at the next two available right hand opportunities, it's only use would be for overtaking.

Edited by beansforyou
Edit

So you think it is ok to change lanes driving through a junction because the lane you've chosen to head towards goes in a different direction than you want, much further down the road. There are at least two other turn offs before it as well.

Don't let the extra third lane confuse you, unless your turning back on yourself at the next two available right hand opportunities, it's only use would be for overtaking.

The road markings on Penistone Road show that if joining from the inside lane of Rutland road then either the inside or middle lane of Pensitone Road are to be used - note the missing white line dividing lane one and two, yet it is present for lane three - for the dimwitted this means outside lane is for joining lane three only.

99% of driver realise this and ive never seen anyone doing anything else, maybe they need some definite lane markings to help incompetent 1%.

This again points out that 95% of people can't drive.

which ones?

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 16:08 ----------

If you need the second lane on Penistone road then be in the second lane as you approach it.

Why do you think being in the first/left hand lane gives you priority to change lanes whilst going through a junction?

If you were sat at the same junction, at lights but going straight ahead, would you assume the same? Why does going around a corner make a difference?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious as to why people think this is ok.

ETA: The basic principle of driving in the UK is to Keep Left, on all roads, including motorways (which is a prime example, you stay in the left hand lane unless you need to overtake)

Fine, up to you what you do, but if you're in the outside lane and head for the middle, you'll get hit soon enough.

which ones?

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 16:08 ----------

Fine, up to you what you do, but if you're in the outside lane and head for the middle, you'll get hit soon enough.

That's fine, because it'll be the one making the illegal manoeuvre into a different lane whilst going through a junction that will be found at fault.

Looking on Google maps, street view, technically as the last poster said (something about being a dimwit, the 1% that can't have a decent conversation) there aren't any white lines as you join, just a double wide left hand lane and a right had lane which are clearly split with white lines.

So it only becomes a three lanes again further down the road where the bus stop is.

So the left hand lane traffic is staying in the left hand lane, and the right in the right, as there are only two divided lanes as you turn left.

Edited by beansforyou

'Beans for you' Not sure how well you know this junction but there are 3 lanes as soon as you turn onto Penistone. If you go through the junction on google street map you can see that all the cars in the left Rutland lane turn into the middle Penistone lane and all the cars in the right Rutland lane turn into the right Penistone Lane. This is what I see everybody do everyday. Aside from the few times I've seen drivers cause near misses by going from right Rutland lane to middle Penistone lane.

Maybe the vast majority of drivers and people commenting on here are wrong but personally I don't think that's the case. Either way clearer road markings would help to avoid further near misses / accidents.

Left hand lane is for slow drivers, middle lane for quicker drivers, and right hand lane for 'giving it some'.

This is a road i've used daily for the last 15 years. if you are in the right lane at the bottom of Rutland rd going on to Penistone rd, there is only one obvious option and that is the outside third lane. The reason it is obvious is due to the fact you would be cutting across on to the middle lane as you turned left. I have had near misses in the past with cars cutting across and nearly hitting me and it's perfectly obvious they've had to swing the steering wheel sharply to get it into the middle lane, therefore causing a near miss.

There are no rules at junctions like that, other than being sensible & courteous, whilst keeping an eye out for those who aren't to minimise the risks..

'Beans for you' Not sure how well you know this junction but there are 3 lanes as soon as you turn onto Penistone. If you go through the junction on google street map you can see that all the cars in the left Rutland lane turn into the middle Penistone lane and all the cars in the right Rutland lane turn into the right Penistone Lane. This is what I see everybody do everyday. Aside from the few times I've seen drivers cause near misses by going from right Rutland lane to middle Penistone lane.

Maybe the vast majority of drivers and people commenting on here are wrong but personally I don't think that's the case. Either way clearer road markings would help to avoid further near misses / accidents.

On my google maps streetview, as you turn out of Rutland Road, there are no roadmarkings between lane 1 and '2' - making the double width left hand lane.

Then further down the road the white lines appear again, splitting the lane back into two, the left and middle.

This is what caused the confusion (I hadn't chance earlier to check google) as I couldn't imagine people in the left hand lane cutting people up as they went through the junction.

I use this junction probably a few times a year, and 99% of the time I would be heading back towards Hillsborough, so I would be in the right hand lane, then straight into the right hand lane on Penistone rd, so I could turn right up St Philips Road.