Has anyone's dog gone off their food before?

If so what did you do about it. Our dog is a westie and he has always had tinned dog food in jelly and recently has gone off it. He is fine in himself, still playing and barking and is as lively as ever but he doesn't want to eat his food, he will eat biscuits and treats and our "human" food, scraps etc, he is drinking a lot more and is passing wind a heck of a lot too. Keep trying different brands of tinned dog food, he used to have dry food when he was much younger but that didnt suit him at the time. He is now nearly 8 years old. Any suggestions? :huh:

Hi there

Have you been feeding him the same brand/flavour for a while? Dog's still have tastebuds so they do get bored if you don't give them variety in flavour. Don't give him your scraps, it's not very good for dogs, especially westies who are prone to sensitive skin which can be provoked by rich food.

Is he at a healthy weight? You should be able to feel a hint of the ribs at the widest point of a dog, if you can't they are probably overweight. He may just not be hungry if so.

I would gradually change his food to a hypoallergenic one or something like natures diet (is it naturesdiet I'm thinking of?) and one that is made for senior dogs. Don't give him scraps until he starts eating his food again.

Don't leave it down for him for more than half an hour and if he still isn't eating it after a few days, take him for a check up.

Good luck :)

Terri

We tried him with Butcher's vitality which was pro-biotic which he polished off the first few tins which were salmon. Also tried him with cesar which he's had before, and today chappie which is supposed to be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs, he ate a tiny bit then gave us so went out to get some dried which again he ate a few morsals and that was it. He is a healthy weight too. If only dogs could talk eh.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/wainwrights-multi-senior-dog-food-150gm-60839

I would recommend this food. It isa Pets at Home brand but it is really good. Cesar, Butcher's and Chappie are not great brands I'm afraid. They are full of cereal and are only normally 4% animal derivitives and don't actully contain proper meat. I would avoid these brands.

If you go to Pets at Home they have certain members of staff that are trained on nutrition by Reaseheath college and can recommend something to suit and can tell you more about nutrition.

There are a lot of people on here who are good with dog nutrition too so someone else will hopefully give you some good advice too.

Thanks H Hounds we will get some advice when we take him to Pets At Home tomorrow for his hair cutting, I had no idea that at 7 a dog is classed as senior, his palate must have changed or something, I suppose we go off certain foods, this is the first dog we have had as a couple, although we have had him for 7 years since he was a puppy we are still learning now. Also could I just ask you if drinking more is an indication of something? Like I said though he's not ill or anything.

I've got two dogs and one is very fussy with his food. There's only about 5 flavours of tinned dog food he will eat (he's five but we have always had the same problem). some days he refuses to eat at all, especially if the girl is in season. But he comes round eventually, and will eat when he is hungry. I used to be worried at first but now I know its just him. I make sure he has plenty of water, often mixed with milk, because that will feed him.

You could try going to the vet and buying their food, I'm not sure what its like, and will be more expensive. or James Wellbeloved is supposed to be good, but I could never tell any difference. Take him for a check up too.

Hope things work out ok.

Mine are both sleeping like babies at this moment in time!

Thanks Saving Grace mine is laid in my husband's chair whose just nipped out and he's farting his head off!

Not many people realise they are classed as senior at 7. I'm not sure why that is though.

Can I take take this opportunity to offer grooming :wink: I charge £25 for a clip and scissor on a westie which is equivalent to Pets at Home's full groom. I know that there target price for each groom is £35 now too! (I was a salon manager there :) )

Good luck with the eating habits. It may just be a phase too.

Terri

I would but he is booked in for tomorrow at 9am and he needs really unless you can fit him in this week?

Hi Jillybabes

Sorry for not replying in time. I can fit him in this week but I guess you've already been to your appointment. Let me know when he's ready again :)

Terri

Our female Westie went to the groomers and she hasn't stopped hitching since. Set her senitive skin off, cost £50 for anti-biotics and Steroids. She's alot better but as bold patched. Still itching slightly but worried she'll be infected again!!!

Hi

I use only hypoallergenic shampoos and colognes by a brand named Kelco, which are made from natural ingredients so they are good at cleaning the coat but don'taffect the skin and are easy to rinse out so there is no residue left to irritate the skin.

Wesite's are prone to sensitive skin and the groomers should have known this. If it was Pets at Home, you can take the vet bill back to them and they will normally refund you if the vet thinks it's the shampoo that caused it.