Hope Cross missing, above Edale (now found)

Since 1984 the Cross has been a Grade II listed building in the care of the National Trust. The inscription on the top of the shaft says 1737, so it’s assumed to be over 270 years old.

Sadly, at some time since Christmas 2011 the capstone has disappeared. Stolen seems an odd word to apply, so maybe it’s best to say it’s just missing. See the following 4 pictures to see it in it’s fullest context; Hope Cross above Edale on the line of old Roman road from Brough to Glossop, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park Hope Cross above Edale on the line of old Roman road from Brough to Glossop, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park Hope Cross above Edale on the line of old Roman road from Brough to Glossop, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park

Hope Cross guide stoop as sunset draws nigh, near Hope, Derbyshire, Peak District National Park

In 1737 the site was at the junction of pack horse routes from Sheffield to Edale, and from Hope to Glossop – the latter following the course of an older Roman road from Brough.

The National Trust know the capstone was in place just before Christmas. It was missing by the first week in January. A search nearby has found no trace. It’s unlikely it could have fallen off and it’s probably too heavy to have been moved very far without mechanical help. If it has, a 4x4 would have been required.

The National Trust are beyond cross about this! They would like it back, please, in good condition. No questions will be asked.

No doubt some person or persons unknown have removed it as a prank. It has no value out of context.

If anyone has any knowledge of it’s whereabouts please could they contact the National Trust asap on 01433 670368 and leave a message for Myles Brazil, warden, or email; peakdistrict@nationaltrust.org.uk A map reference is all that’s required and it will be picked up.

I hope you find it and in one piece so it can be replaced.

My first thought is that someone would have knocked it off and it still be in the area, but as you have checked...

What could anyone actually do with it ? make it into a bird bath top ??

I know they say people will steal anything but obviously it is true. Disgusting is the only word I can think of...please keep us informed of any news of its whereabouts.

I hate people who steal things that belong to everybody.

I can't see it being knocked off, as it was about 8 feet high. I was looking at pictures of it only last evening.

Do 4x4's pass by the cross and is it legal for them to do so ?

Got to have been removed by a vehicle owner, too heavy to have been carried.

I would have thought that walkers passing by wouldn't have been the sort of folks to have removed it.

*&%£("!! shame, you just can't understand why.

Few years ago walking over Brown Knoll, somebody had pushed over the Trig Point.

Thankfully it was put back in place and a sizeable spread of concrete applied around it's base.

Edited by Runningman
Masked word changed

Do 4x4's pass by the cross and is it legal for them to do so ?

Got to have been removed by a vehicle owner, too heavy to have been carried.

I would have thought that walkers passing by wouldn't have been the sort of folks to have removed it.

*&%£("!! shame, you just can't understand why.

Few years ago walking over Brown Knoll, somebody had pushed over the Trig Point.

Thankfully it was put back in place and a sizeable spread of concrete applied around it's base.

The pathway is indicated on the OS map as a bridleway, but that doesn't physically prevent motorised vehicles from using it. That's another thorny issue for another thread!!

Probably now taking pride of place in some unspeakable person's back garden. Check out your neighbours, especially if they are selfish, arrogant and drive a 4x4.

Why not commission a new one, all you need is a piece of stone, hammer and chisel. How much did it weigh?

As someone who loves history this really saddens me, it doesn't surprise me though.

I'm really hoping this has been removed as some form of ill advised prank but i fear it may have been stolen to order.

There are portable examples of our history all over our region that could easily be carted off by the selfish, there are examples i personally know of but can't reveal the locations on my website for fear of them going missing.

Why not commission a new one, all you need is a piece of stone, hammer and chisel. How much did it weigh?

That may have to happen, but it would be better if the old stone were recovered.

There are literally thousands of items of antiquity in the Peak District. Some are well known, most are not, except by those who appreciate the past. They are being carefully surveyed and monitored, but that takes a lot of time. More are being found every year. Some are better recorded than others.

Man has existed in the Peak District for well over 3,000 years; just how long we don't really know. Future generations may be better able to assess how they all fit together to teach us more about the past.

At least one very old and historically important stone has had to be replaced by an excellent fibreglass replica to prevent damage. The fibreglass has already been slightly chipped. Unfortunately such actions can't be arranged for them all.

Clearly the cross can't be left without a capstone for long. Hopefully the person/s concerned have merely taken it for the challenge, will get bored, and leave it where it can be recovered. Otherwise, yes, a new one will have to be made.