Sheffield Theatres - great night out or washing my hair instead?

shabby seating?

the Crucible is undergoing a re-furb sometime soon. the seats IIRC are going to be replaced, and the access for wheelchair using patrons is being improved.

productions?

I have been to four productions so far this year. I went to see the musical Chicago in April, for my birthday, that was fantastic, i have seen "round The Horn Revisited",also absolutely brilliant, both of those were staged at the lyceum.

More recently, I went with the forummers to the Crucible to see "Much Ado". I was not as keen on that, I thought it was a little bit "pedestrian" but, that aside, it was a good evening, mind you

Last week, I went to the Crucible to see "Promises, Promises!" that was a very slick, professional production. the dancers and singers had a lot of vitality, and energy.

I was hoping to see "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at the lyceum but sadly, the friend I was supposed to be going with and I could not get a convenient and mutual time/ day to see the production.

PT

I've heard that the Panto is only being performed Mon to Sat, no Sunday performance. Does anyone know if this is true? It seems a bit odd what with Sunday being a day when families do stuff.

I went a couple of weeks ago to the Lyceum. I do like theatre and I would love to see someone do Faust there.

Guest Pauly

Both my mother and sister are amateur actresses and take part in various shows at the Library Theatre, Crucible and Lyceum throughout the year. I did a show with Splinters theatre group (Jesus Christ Superstar) when I was 18/19 but stopped doing acting when I left Sheffield for college in 1995.

We do go and see professional shows at the Lyceum when they're here but I don't get there very often. I much prefer professional shows as the amateur ones tend to be a bit dull IMO. There's a few good amateur ones around but I think I've had my fill of them after having grown up with it.

I'll be honest. I love the theatre. However, in my eyes most of the stuff the theatres put on isn;t interesting. However, tey seem to have spurts of good stuff followed by loads of boring stuff.

my mother on the other hand goes all the time

i love going to the theatre, im a member of the square circle so i get 25% off my tickets, which makes it cheaper :thumbsup:

ive seen some great stuff this year .....

chicago

reduced shakespeare company

blue orange

john shuttleworth

promises promises

seeing great exspectations in jan but there isnt many big productions on like last year,

when the crucible have there refurb i will be disapointed to see the carpet go as its been there such a long time- it always makes me giggle cos its so horrid but it kind of fits the crucible some how.

Originally posted by officegirl

When the crucible have there refurb I will be disapointed to see the carpet go as its been there such a long time- it always makes me giggle cos its so horrid but it kind of fits the crucible some how.

Yes the carpet was "gaudy", even by 1970's standards...

Well... it *was* the decade that style forgot!!! lol

You may be interested to know that, when the time comes for the refurb, the carpet is going to be sold off, in small squares, to patrons who wish to buy some.

I have this information from the horses mouth.. the manager told me so himself.

So, should you have an "unnatural" affection (LOL) for the carpet, you can own a little piece of Crucible history! lol lol lol

(and the money will be going to charity IIRC)

PT

when i was in sheff i used to go drinking in the bar in the crucible :)

as far as i ever got to "seeing" a show :P

bet kirky goes all the time

I go to the theatres quite a bit - but it's expensive, IMO.

Interestingly tho, for those of you who don't want to stomach £19 a head or whatever, if you go to the Crucible on the day you want to attend, the tickets (standby) are £7.50 a head. For the Crucible, that's worth it, whatever the seat. And, cos of the layout of the place, once you're in you can move to any vacant seat that you fancy. The Lyceum's standbys aren't so good, you could well end up at the back of the highest balcony, which isn't much good in my book.

It's also interesting that the audiences in my experience are predominantly white, middle class (from the accents) and 'middle aged'. I'd love to see this challenged or changed.