Sheffield Theatres - great night out or washing my hair instead?

I'm doing some research into whether people visit the theatres in Sheffield. (Crucible, Lyceum, Studio only). And would like to know as forum members what you think. Do you attend? Sometimes? Never? Are they great? A waste of money? What would make you attend? What's your favourite performance? Any comments would be really helpful - truthful please!

PS This is independent research - not commissioned by Sheffield Theatres or on their behalf.

it depends on the shows that are on. They should produce a monthly guide like the showroom cinema, they may already but if they do its not widely distributed.

best show was blood brothers, amazing!!

We go maybe a couple of times a year, when there is something we really want to see on. I think they should have more offers - 2 for 1 etc as sometimes it prohibativley expensive.

What I really do like about going to Sheffield Theatres is that you can either dress up and make a 'posh' evening out of it or have a low key evening.

Some good stuff... too much Shakespeare and 'arty' stuff... I prefer to travel to the West Yorkshire Playhouse or Hull Truck as they tend to have a better selection of plays. Also, you can watch Northern Broadsides doing Shakespeare plays at a better standard, that are more accesible, than the Sheffield Theatre's productions.

I used to be a regular at both theatres but rarely go now because both are slowly morphing into restaurants. If the management insisted that people unwrap their sweets/crisps/chocolates before the performance started I might consider going back.

It seems petty, I know, but it can be so distracting sitting behind someone munching their way through a packet of individually wrapped sweets.

/rant

I'll return when the Crucibile gets some comfy seats.

The Crucible does 2 for 1 on some shows and has various concessions. Would that be enough as a newcomer to make you attend? Do you think Theatres in general don't attract a young audience? Do they cater for ethic groups and alternative theatre?

Would anyone be interested in a Theatre friends group where you can attend, see the show and then have a drink after as a group? It would pretty much be aimed at people who would like to visit the theatre but whose friends maybe aren't interested. Not a dating group just a network of likeminded people.

Originally posted by janem

The Crucible does 2 for 1 on some shows and has various concessions. Would that be enough as a newcomer to make you attend? Do you think Theatres in general don't attract a young audience? Do they cater for ethic groups and alternative theatre?

Would anyone be interested in a Theatre friends group where you can attend, see the show and then have a drink after as a group? It would pretty much be aimed at people who would like to visit the theatre but whose friends maybe aren't interested. Not a dating group just a network of likeminded people.

In that case the 2-4-1 offers are not well enough advertised. I like the group idea though.

Maybe we can have a forum theatre group?

We went to the Crucible last night to see "Promises Promises".

In fact it was our third visit this year, we saw "Comedy of Errors" and the fantastic "Gladiator Games" earlier this year.

My only complaint is the seats,after a couple of hours it does get a little uncomfortable :) .

But I love the theatre, my other half thinks it a pastime for older people than ourselves (He's only 33!) but I think the Sheffield Theatre audience is a very varied one.

2-4-1 offers would certainly encourage us down there a little more.

cheaper seats - or advertise a little more widely.

when shsheff oranised the last forum do, the queue for cheap tickets was monstrous.

altough i recently paid £24 to watch united, that was more of a waste than £24 for the theatre methinks.

We go about 4 or 5 times a year and absolutely love it everytime.

Some of the Sheffield Theatres productions over the last 3 years have been better than the West End - and some have transferred to London (such as Don Carlos) and been wildly successful.

In my opinion, the Crucible is one of the best theatre spaces in the country - it really encourages directors and set designers to think creatively about space and staging.

Went to see Promises, Promises this week - and yet again another winner - a really fun night out.

I do agree about the seats in the Crucible, though - they are looking very shabby.

I've just booked to see Promises Promises on Monday.

If you book online tickets up to next Tuesday are only £10 each.