Old PC memory - need more

Hi

my daughters old celeron desktop pc needs alot more memory, currently has 256mb - which is just so little by todays standards -

Ideally i need to replace this and put in 2 sticks of 512mb PC2100

Does anyone have any going spare

Thanks guys

Got 1gb of pc3200 i think

A Celeron with 256mb ram, I'd guess this thing is over 10 years old, it isn't going to be up to much no matter how much ram you put in it.

Got 1gb of pc3200 i think

ill lay a bet the pc woudnt support 1gb stick if its as old as it sounds bet 2x512mb sticks is the max it supports

If you go to Crucials website you can scan your system and it'll tell you how much ram you can run. !

A Celeron with 256mb ram, I'd guess this thing is over 10 years old, it isn't going to be up to much no matter how much ram you put in it.

Not necessarily. I've seen some five year old Celeron 2.7's which came with 512Mb of RAM as standard. Up it to 2Gb and it flies.

I'd hazard a guess that the mobo can only take PC2100 or PC2700 though.

Not necessarily. I've seen some five year old Celeron 2.7's which came with 512Mb of RAM as standard. Up it to 2Gb and it flies.

It will take 3200, but will just run at 21/2700 speed!

PC2100 indicates that it's one of the early Pentium 4 based Celerons, released in 2002. In June 2004 they had a new generation of Celerons with improved performance & that supported higher memory & bus speeds. So it's going to be at least 7 years old, more likely 8 or 9 & using a processor generation released nearly 10 years ago - which was a particularly bad generation for Intel, with crippled performance (that's what Celeron means) & other parts that were cheapest possible at the time.

They run like real dogs, not really up to browsing a lot of modern websites (especially if they use a lot of javascript & flash), never mind trying to run modern software. It'll use a fair bit of power too, being based on those old Pentium 4s. It's going to have poor integrated graphics sharing the ram (and limited ram bandwidth) slowing it down more. Slow small hard disk.

If somebody will give you a gigabyte for free, then take it & see how it runs, but 1gb ddr is nearly £20 to buy new, it isn't really worth spending money on, you'll still have a really slow PC, it wont be as slow, but it'll still be frustrating.

Edited by anywebsite

It will take 3200, but will just run at 21/2700 speed!

I had an P4 2.8 in an ASUS mobo that wouldn't take anything beyond 2700.

That's correct

If you go to Crucials website you can scan your system and it'll tell you how much ram you can run. !

Done that Bud - MAX is 2 x 512mb