Snow thread 2012

Well how very small minded of you, Small cars are some of the best vehicles to drive around in when it snows, the front wheel drive and narrow tyres make them perfect. When we had the bad weather in 2010 there was only one day when our fiesta sat it out and that is when the snow was above the bonnet, other than that we were fine, we often had to take the 'back wacks' to avoid people who clearly did not know how to drive in snowy conditions, this included some 4WD want to be bully boys who had ended up burning out their clutches :hihi: It is often not the cars which are the problem, more like the drivers who do not have the first clue about slow and steady wins the race. :loopy:

It is true that knowing how to drive in the car is half of the battle. Some of the back wheel drive more prestigious cars however are non starters in the snow.

Were we live it is a one in and out with a hill at the end and last year I was the only one that could get out I was fetching shopping for people on our street taking them to work and all sorts I even took one lady to an hospital appointment I don't think it will get as bad this year though.

It is true that knowing how to drive in the car is half of the battle. Some of the back wheel drive more prestigious cars however are non starters in the snow.

Winter tyres on the van kicked ass last night. Our progress was stopped by a couple cars spinning half way up hills (they got up eventually but a couple were going to be needing new clutches) but set off again without any incident. Seemed to stop ok too.

Well how very small minded of you, Small cars are some of the best vehicles to drive around in when it snows, the front wheel drive and narrow tyres make them perfect. When we had the bad weather in 2010 there was only one day when our fiesta sat it out and that is when the snow was above the bonnet, other than that we were fine, we often had to take the 'back wacks' to avoid people who clearly did not know how to drive in snowy conditions, this included some 4WD want to be bully boys who had ended up burning out their clutches :hihi: It is often not the cars which are the problem, more like the drivers who do not have the first clue about slow and steady wins the race. :loopy:

What I mean is like low cars with low profile tyres and thing not suited to them kind of conditions I drive my 4x4 properly and I use it mainly for towing my caravan,, there is a feeling that 4x4 drivers are bullys I personally don't drive like that my 4x4 is an old one and is a slow old thing any modern car can leave it standing, its just a good old versatile truck that will take you anywhere true a lot of driving in the snow is down to how you drive and the steadier you are the better and feather you get, but its very annoying when you see people who have no idea of driving in the snow blocking the road and you have vehicle that is capable of just going past them with out any slipping and sliding you just have to get past them, as for burning clutches out most 4x4s are automatics,

Where were you, Siberia?

where were you? The fiesta was in sheffield ast year.

Had my snow tyres on this year and what a difference it made, so pleased, even more pleased that our road was ploughed and gritted last night and this morning!!! wow, well done those men, kids can go to school tomorrow now!!!!!!!!!!!

The fiesta was indeed in Sheffield and if you cast your minds back, there was a lot of drifting in 2010, If I can dig the photos out I will.

Some of the two wheel drive people are foolish going out in snow in their small cars with big noisy exhausts.

Not as foolish as those that have a 4 wheel drive and then render it practically useless by putting silly wheels / tyres on it.

I'd actually like advice on driving an automatic in the snow/ice. Haven't dared gone out as yet as I wouldn't be able to walk, but it would be nice to go and see my Mum at some point.

I'm assuming you're in your little Fiat puddlejumper?

Most automatics have either a winter setting or a way of putting them into selected gears- tiptronic, flappy paddles or something. If you have a winter setting then use that, if you haven't then you need to find your way of selecting gears.

What the winter setting does is it makes your car pull away in second gear, which reduces wheel spin and increases the chance that you can pull away on slippery surfaces.

With cars that don't have a winter setting, you can usually achieve the same pulling away in second gear with the tiptronic or flappy paddle settings. For instance, with my Skoda you engage the tiptronic and (this is the important bit) whilst the car is stationary you push to change up a gear and this makes you engage second gear to pull away. It doesn't work if you are moving because this makes the car use both first and second- and you really don't want the car trying to pull away in first gear on snow and ice.

Once you're moving you can push the car back into auto mode for flat surfaces or for when you're going uphill but then engage the gear selectors again for when you need to descend. Limiting the maximum gear increases your engine braking and stops the car from doing that automatic accelerating down a hill worrying thing that they are prone to do sometimes.

As for everything else, whether your car performs well in snow and ice is as much a product of the car itself as it is to do with the car being an automatic. All of my SAABs were fabulous in the snow and my Renault Scenic was OK-ish, but my current Skoda is a pain in the bum when it's slippy. I don't know whether Fiats are good when it's slippy, or whether they're as useless as my sister's Mini.

I'm assuming you're in your little Fiat puddlejumper?

Most automatics have either a winter setting or a way of putting them into selected gears- tiptronic, flappy paddles or something. If you have a winter setting then use that, if you haven't then you need to find your way of selecting gears.

What the winter setting does is it makes your car pull away in second gear, which reduces wheel spin and increases the chance that you can pull away on slippery surfaces.

With cars that don't have a winter setting, you can usually achieve the same pulling away in second gear with the tiptronic or flappy paddle settings. For instance, with my Skoda you engage the tiptronic and (this is the important bit) whilst the car is stationary you push to change up a gear and this makes you engage second gear to pull away. It doesn't work if you are moving because this makes the car use both first and second- and you really don't want the car trying to pull away in first gear on snow and ice.

Once you're moving you can push the car back into auto mode for flat surfaces or for when you're going uphill but then engage the gear selectors again for when you need to descend. Limiting the maximum gear increases your engine braking and stops the car from doing that automatic accelerating down a hill worrying thing that they are prone to do sometimes.

As for everything else, whether your car performs well in snow and ice is as much a product of the car itself as it is to do with the car being an automatic. All of my SAABs were fabulous in the snow and my Renault Scenic was OK-ish, but my current Skoda is a pain in the bum when it's slippy. I don't know whether Fiats are good when it's slippy, or whether they're as useless as my sister's Mini.

Thanks ... Get ya. Pop him into manual and run him from there. I have a dual logic gearbox so can flip into manual whenever I want.

And yes .. It's my little fiat 500 x

Is Hillsborough College likely to be open tomorrow?