Hospital bag advice needed (first baby!)

A scan picture of your baby might give you something to focus on during labour, and remind you why you're doing it. Sounds daft, but its very easy to forget during the later stages. Your hospital might be able to give you a list of what to take, as different ones provide different things. When I asked for cotton wool the nurse looked at me like I'd asked for pure silk :D yet I've heard of another hospital that provided it. This way you know for sure what to take and whats just taking up room xx

I think you are pretty well covered. As for the baby toiletries the support worker used the Johnsons (just me and her in the room) as my son had some stubborn blood on his head.

You probably won't need the magazines in labour but if you stay in and wake up ridiculously early like I did it is a long wait before breakfast! :hihi: and I didn't want to disturb my tired baby unless I needed to :)

I ended up staying in 3 nights which wasn't expected and I was glad of the little luxury toiletry bag that my mum had made up for me, made it more bearable when I was itching to go home!

Good luck and hope everything goes as smoothly and stressfree as possible. I will keep an eye out for the birth announcement! x

Same for hairbrushes etc

If you had seen my hair after I had got out of bed you would take that comment back :hihi:

If you use lansinoh nipple cream you dont need the lip balm as it can be used on your lips too! :-)

to be honest i think you may have packed far too much, you won't need magazines i took them for all 3 of my labours and never read them i slept through my labours (i had epidurals), the midwifes will provide a jug if you need one there in sterilised packs, you wont need nappy cream straight away i wouldnt worry about makeup either you will just want to relax. x

Thank you for posting this list, it's my second baby due march 10th and I couldn't begin to think what I needed as baby brain has set in quite well now lol, I won't need everything on there but I am going to use your list as an excellent guide to what I may want to take with me as it pretty much covers everything so thank you! I think take whatever makes you feel prepared and comfortable and if you dont need it give it to our family to fetch home for you when they visit. I didn't use half the stuff I took last time but just having it made me feel better and I was in for 5 days being induced and then 1 day after birth. And good luck with your bump! Xxxx

thanks for all your replies. i def do need my hair brush and makeup- no matter how knackered i am!!! im beginning to rethink whether i need a towel just cos its quite bulky- do i def need one? or will jessops provide them?

i know i prob dont need the magazines but was just taking a couple in case i end up staying in longer unexpectedly.

thanks again and will keep you all posted. am 37 weeks today so itching to get her out now really! xx

When I was in the Hallamshire they didn't provide towels, so would have thought it would be the same at the Jessops wing. Perhaps you could pack a beach towel as they're usually lighter.

Seeing your list has certainly made me add a few things, but I think I will follow Loz22 and get family to fetch anything in if I need it.

thanks for all your replies. i def do need my hair brush and makeup- no matter how knackered i am!!! im beginning to rethink whether i need a towel just cos its quite bulky- do i def need one? or will jessops provide them?

i know i prob dont need the magazines but was just taking a couple in case i end up staying in longer unexpectedly.

thanks again and will keep you all posted. am 37 weeks today so itching to get her out now really! xx

Having just sorted my bag out... I have a packet of nappies, cotton wool, a few baby clothes. And I have for me, make up, hair brush, shampoo/shower gel, 2 towels (one to bin if it gets heavily soiled, remember what's happening down below), a few pair of joggers/pj bottoms, 8 pairs of "cheap" knickers (asda £2.50 for 4, cheap enough to bin after!) 3 tops, 2 nightys, a labouring nighty, and a pair of slippers. Also put in spare phone charger, piece of paper with bank details on for tv if needed, camera and a pair of baggy shorts & spare Tshirt for fella - its hot in hospital especially if labouring for a long time. And I've got lots and lots of pads (for both my boobs and pants!)

X

Just a thought, I finally remembered something from last time! I found nursing bras uncomfortable to sleep in, and especially needing breast pads through the night I bought some soft nursing bras from mothercare for sleeping they are a little bit like soft sports bras withh no fasteners or anything on them you just pull them over your head. I ended wearing them all the time as they were so comfy, I think I will just take those bras with me whilst in hospital. Good luck! X

Nipple cream and breastpads!

Apparently rubbing breast milk into sore nipples can work as well as cream - not done it myself but might be a money saver, although when its dried it might be a bit yucky :D