What's It Like Running A Pub?

Thank you Tony for the sound advice, I had every intention of replying! :/

Well I can't say that after reading all your comments that it would be a good idea, we were thinking of managment with just a salary rather than owning outright! I think a little more research is needed before we dive in (if we do) thank you all for your replies I now see its not all a bed of roses as once thought :/

I was born in a pub that my father ran, and lived there afew years,

i now have brothers that have run pubs and 1 that still does, and have worked for them

as a cellar man .

personally, if i was you, i would look toward another carreer path,

unless you like extra hard work, long hours and low bank accounts,

it can work sometimes, as my brother Alan & Sheilla has the Stocks in Eco,

it depends on owning it and bloody hard work & matching the pub to the communty#

get a kebab van, they always seem to do well in sheffield town centre lol

Managing a pub can be a thankless task. Its all about targets, and there's no landlord and regular customer relationship anymore. Wages budgets are virtually none existant, and the Companies that employ managers, can be very cut throat. I ran pubs for years, and as time passed the environment totally changed. I had very little support and huge pressure and demands put on me with little interest or visits from my area managers. All they cared about were the figures, not the fact that the kitchen was illegal to work in because of its ill repair and the state of the accommodation and rest of the pub, leaks, a potentially fatal electrical problem which I ended up paying for myself.....I wouldn't do it. Not unless its freehold and you're not tied to anyone. Hope that helps.

Pub are a little easy if you work as a manager like my mum does although its not really well payed unless you hit targets i know when my mum earns over x amount a week she takes a 16% cut of the profit and thats were she earns her real money although she does silly hours at work and really your better running a pub as a couple as my mums on her own she has to employ staff which comes out of her profit cuts and that how it works with the company she works for!!!

Very, Very hard work. Long hours (and I mean long hours) from getting up to let the cleaners in or the draymen to trying to kick out people who have had too much to drink at 12.00pm. If you have young children or are thinking about starting a family give it a miss!