Band wanted for evening reception

Can anyone recommend a band for an evening reception which is not too expensive?

Thanks

Hi there I am gettig married in July, I recently went to a wedding fayre and as I walked in I heard someone singing along with a guitar playing, I have to say that I know this is silly but it was one of those times where I thought 'I need to find where this is coming from', they were truly amazing! I finally found them and there were 2 guys (acoustic) one singing one with a guitar, I stood there for half an hour listening along with the crowds. I didnt book there and then as I needed my husband to be hear them first, I went home and found them on u tube and my partner agreed they were amazing. They have charged me £400 this includes 2hours of live perfomrnace ( I have choosen all the songs they are singing) this also includes a DJ for the rest of the evening. The following week I went to another event and they were there again, again i stood and listened for ages. Take a look they are called 24degrees or the link is

http://www.24audio.co.uk/testimonials.php

Hope this helps, fi

Thanks everyone, your suggestions are really helpful.

£400 for a duo and some people complain at £700 for a 4 piece live band???

I really must learn to play the guitar and sing if thats what a duo gets!!

What type of evening reception is it?

Well it does they that the lady chose all the songs, they must have put in a lot of effort to learn them all. Maybe more hours than just turning up and playing.

Well it does they that the lady chose all the songs, they must have put in a lot of effort to learn them all. Maybe more hours than just turning up and playing.

If you knew the amount of hours we put in, you would be suprised.

As well as working 10 hrs a day, I rehearse twice a week at 4hrs a time, then I gig twice a week, sometimes thee days are 14 hrs long from setting off to getting home, the other 3 guys rehearse every day as they live together, new songs, old songs, improving the old ones, new ideas for the show, as well as following up work, attending wedding fayres, sorting work/contracts with agents, trying to please everyone, and above all having fun.

In between then, I play at home, listen to new songs, or song requests for certain events. So please dont assume that all bands are the typical pub bands that are jam bands put together, with a 200 quid PA system. We have invested almost 20k in our band in less than a year, when you divide the wages we get by the time we put in its less than what the Cinease are paying those people an hour to make the Olympic toys.

of course, I am also studying for a degree @ hallam uni on top off al this, as well as trying to have a life with my partner.

2 people rehearsing is alot easier than 4. 4 is easier than 6 and so on and so on.

We just dont turn up and play, we ask the clients what they want, to construct a set from our list on the internet, if its not there, tell us in good time and we will rehearse the songs requested.

That was exactly my point - theres more to performing than just turning up and playing - if you know how much effort it takes to run an outfit why are you complaining about how much other people charge? :confused:

That was exactly my point - theres more to performing than just turning up and playing - if you know how much effort it takes to run an outfit why are you complaining about how much other people charge? :confused:

My point is this - a due charging £400, no complaints from client - however, a band says we charge £800 - instatly its too expensive, yet the numbers are double, plus a few more in some cases...thats my point.

Im not saying the lady in question is saying 800 is too expensive, from expereince, people ring up/email thinking a band will be the same as a duo, as the same quality.

Hi there I am gettig married in July, I recently went to a wedding fayre and as I walked in I heard someone singing along with a guitar playing, I have to say that I know this is silly but it was one of those times where I thought 'I need to find where this is coming from', they were truly amazing! I finally found them and there were 2 guys (acoustic) one singing one with a guitar, I stood there for half an hour listening along with the crowds. I didnt book there and then as I needed my husband to be hear them first, I went home and found them on u tube and my partner agreed they were amazing. They have charged me £400 this includes 2hours of live perfomrnace ( I have choosen all the songs they are singing) this also includes a DJ for the rest of the evening. The following week I went to another event and they were there again, again i stood and listened for ages. Take a look they are called 24degrees or the link is

http://www.24audio.co.uk/testimonials.php

Hope this helps, fi

Hi

We're also looking for a band, and have checked these guys out. They sound good but thinking they might be subdued for starting a party. What did you think of them live? Will they get the party started or are they more of an afternoon option??

Cheers

Puffin