Sheffield is full of teenage mums and dads..

I think if both parents are sensible enough to look after the child then age isn't an issue.

However I believe you're talking about the one's you see smoking, boozing and swearing at their child. These are the one's who cause concern to me the most.

I've not read the total thread but your description of teen mums and dads its the most ridiculous thing i have ever read.

I was a teen mum (almost25) and both my children (4 and 7) are top in their class, my 7 year old has a knowledge of planets (and other space facts) that would put most adults to shame. both of my children knew the alphabet and could count to 20 at the age of two, I could go on with other things my children can do.

not all teen parents are like you describe, I'm fed up with idiots thinking all teen mums and dads are like you see on jeremy kyle, believe it or not but some of us are good parents, stay with our babies dads and not just put it about for a council house.

If you read my post I've pretty much summed it all up. I don't think the OP was making nasty comments to all teenage mums & Dads to be fair.

Yet you slept with him without using contraception!

maybe he fooled her into thinking he was a nice guy and she trusted him, and then it was too late:mad:

It's scarey. I can't believe the amount of teenage mums and dads you see around Sheffield and the surrounding towns pushing prams with 2 or 3 kids and a pit bull in tow as well ! There must be thousands of them. Knocking out kids that will be utterly useless. This country is heading for MASSIVE problems in a few years ! Even worse than now !

Someone should have told Africa about this years ago, England are just following suit.

If some virus or other little animal explodes in numbers out of proportion we call it a pest.

When humans explode out of proportion we don’t recognise ourselves as a pest to this earth we live on.

We are destroying and ripping this earth to peaces because we want it all and think we are god. But if a little bug infests an area we panic in fear a pest a pest an infestation. Look in the mirror and see yourselves

ive not read this whole thread but since having my daughter i feel very passionate about this, im 28 with a 8month old baby and pregnant again :)

me and my partner both work and are lucky enough to have our own mortgaged property.. this is because we have a great family support system and we've also worked damn hard long hours to support ourselves!

right so here is where i rant.. people that have never worked, have no real concept of money, sadly this is usually the younger generation!

the whole thing now is to have a baby..

then you dont have to abide by your mum and dads rules cause you get a 'free' house, you get so many benefits on top and its a vicious circle, as if these people then find work they're worse off on minimum wage and lose there benefits so then their babies grow up believing this is the way to live.. its the wrong attitude to life and i believe it will not get better until the government sort itself out!! i do not wish to offend anyone but this country is getting worse!

ive not read this whole thread but since having my daughter i feel very passionate about this, im 28 with a 8month old baby and pregnant again :)

me and my partner both work and are lucky enough to have our own mortgaged property.. this is because we have a great family support system and we've also worked damn hard long hours to support ourselves!

right so here is where i rant.. people that have never worked, have no real concept of money, sadly this is usually the younger generation!

then you dont have to abide by your mum and dads rules cause you get a 'free' house, you get so many benefits on top and its a vicious circle, as if these people then find work they're worse off on minimum wage and lose there benefits so then their babies grow up believing this is the way to live.. its the wrong attitude to life and i believe it will not get better until the government sort itself out!! i do not wish to offend anyone but this country is getting worse!

Good on you I wish more people were like you and we wouldnt have half as many problems.:)

I agree with you

My emotive response is to say put a cap on benefits (inc child allowance) at two children, and wider benefits shouldn't be more than someone could get by working full time at National Minimum Wage.

However, my logical head says that although the above is the right way to go in the longer term it would be wrong to do it. Why? Because it would mean children / babies suffering if parents don't have enough money to feed and clothe them

Perhaps the Police could prosecute the fathers of a lot of them? Statutory rape seems to be forgetten these days.

I was in hospital recently to have my baby and for one reason and another was kept in for a while so saw people coming and going from the ward. There was one 16 year old who seemed quite sensible and was older than her years who seemed to be managing well and be quite switched on about what she was doing, but there was no Dad on the scene.

Apart from that looking at the other young parents they didn't really fill you with confidence. One had an awful, awful smokers cough, was outside smoking all the time and had a really, really low birth weight baby - had the Dad around but couldn't communicate with him on any level other than shouting and arguing. I'm fairly sure one was sneaking booze onto the ward.

I know it's judgemental but really the way some of them were behaving you couldn't help but judge because you just felt sorry for the poor kids. I know some kids who have children young are very good parents but from what I saw in hospital it certainly appeared that this was unlikely to be the case generally.

Perhaps the Police could prosecute the fathers of a lot of them? Statutory rape seems to be forgetten these days.

only a couple of problems with tht idea:-

1) stat rape is not on the UK law books, and

2) you can still be a "teenager" when you have hit 16 years of age. You're a teenager, and "legal", for the same length of time as you were a teenager and "illegal"

I don't think its matter what age you are to have a child as long as the child is well looked after what's the problem