F1 2012 Season Megathread

You know what that looks like to me Bladesman, they [RB] have a vent in that ugly new bit, and none of the others do :huh: It almost looks like other cars saw what RB were doing, copied it but missed the point of it, and didn't see the vent bit :hihi:

That's probably completely incorrect, but was my first thought when I saw this pic.

Something i've been thinking about the past few days. Have Mclaren pulled a master stroke with their nose without a step or do the other teams know something Mclaren dont ?

Reading certain sites, it seems to suggest that they were happy with all the aero feedback from testing and are more than happy to use the current nose. I have a feeling that they have also built a nose WITH a step just incase they were way off the mark.

Ferrari wanted the FIA to check out the legality of their (Mclaren) nose, which suggests Ferrari (and possibly other teams) know that they are fast.

You know what that looks like to me Bladesman, they [RB] have a vent in that ugly new bit, and none of the others do :huh: It almost looks like other cars saw what RB were doing, copied it but missed the point of it, and didn't see the vent bit :hihi:

That's probably completely incorrect, but was my first thought when I saw this pic.

Ted Kravitz on Twitter: "Just spoke to A Newey, post box slot is primarily for cooling: driver and other parts. He denies it gives RB8 any aero benefit. Newey also says might be exhaust controversy if someone races in Oz with a different interpretation and that he wants to stay at Red Bull.."

Newey saying its purely for cooling reasons but hinting at the McLaren exhaust there causing controversy perhaps?

Picture of the McLaren exhaust. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bilder/fotos-f1-test-jerez-1-4368903.html?fotoshow_item=21#fotoshow_item=21

Looks like the FIA will be looking at both the front and rear of that McLaren it seems.

Edited by Bladesman

Newey saying its purely for cooling reasons but hinting at the McLaren exhaust there causing controversy perhaps?

Newey will say that though. He's designed the best F1 cars for years, he's a technical genius. What he wont do, is say what certain things do on the car he built.

Newey will say that though. He's designed the best F1 cars for years, he's a technical genius. What he wont do, is say what certain things do on the car he built.

This is the rear of the Red Bull if you want to compare them.

http://images.scribblelive.com/2012/2/7/7322e45f-8214-4b31-8cf5-fd57cb448625_400.jpg

Rear of the Ferrari aswell: http://images.scribblelive.com/2012/2/7/6964628a-33d5-469b-9990-5c47a6ddef2d_400.jpg

1st day pre-season testing in Jerez:

Kimi Raikkonen Lotus 1:19.670 63 laps.

Paul Di Resta Force India 1:19.772 91.

Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:20.219 56.

Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1:20.694 57.

Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:20.794 26.

Mark Webber Red Bull 1:20.917 39.

Kamui Kobayashi Sauber 1:21.352 99.

Jenson Button McLaren 1:21.530 50.

Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:22.815 68.

Heikki Kovalainen Caterham, 1:23.178 28.

Pastor Maldonado Williams 1:23.271 25.

Pedro De la Rosa HRT 1:24.209 36.

Ouch,

Exhaust burning.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2913/f2012bex.jpg

Kimi think's hes back in WRC.

08:42 Raikkonen gravel update from @Lotus_F1Team: "Car now undergoing a checkover and hoover action. We may even replace the plank."

Edited by byeo

Ouch,

Exhaust burning.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2913/f2012bex.jpg

Kimi think's hes back in WRC.

08:42 Raikkonen gravel update from @Lotus_F1Team: "Car now undergoing a checkover and hoover action. We may even replace the plank."

Not surprising to see burning.

Its a common issue in pre-season and McLaren were having the same problem yesterday early on.

Something i've been thinking about the past few days. Have Mclaren pulled a master stroke with their nose without a step or do the other teams know something Mclaren dont ?

Reading certain sites, it seems to suggest that they were happy with all the aero feedback from testing and are more than happy to use the current nose. I have a feeling that they have also built a nose WITH a step just incase they were way off the mark.

Ferrari wanted the FIA to check out the legality of their (Mclaren) nose, which suggests Ferrari (and possibly other teams) know that they are fast.

Mclaren had a lower chassis last season and the new nose rules fell right into that, Mclaren have had to make far less changes than any of the other teams with the new aero rules. If they were to add a step they would have to massively overhaul their entire car as the main chassis has been developed at this lower height for 2 years now.

Mclaren had a lower chassis last season and the new nose rules fell right into that, Mclaren have had to make far less changes than any of the other teams with the new aero rules. If they were to add a step they would have to massively overhaul their entire car as the main chassis has been developed at this lower height for 2 years now.

Red Bulls was low as well last year I believe yet they still changed the nose on their car.

Red Bulls was low as well last year I believe yet they still changed the nose on their car.

If you remember last year mclaren had the odd looking inverted L shapes, the inner part of that was lower than every other car and it just happened to be at the same height more or less as the new nose regulations. They have a much lower centre of gravity as a result and have to run a stiffer car which is why it seems to bounce on the kerbs more than the others.

If you remember last year mclaren had the odd looking inverted L shapes, the inner part of that was lower than every other car and it just happened to be at the same height more or less as the new nose regulations. They have a much lower centre of gravity as a result and have to run a stiffer car which is why it seems to bounce on the kerbs more than the others.

The question is will their car be quickest this year since they have opted not to have a silly nose though?

In theory they are ahead of the others I guess.