Monsal Trail Tunnels

Has anyone walked or cycled the trail since the re-opening of the railway tunnels?

I have explored short sections of the trail, but not in it's entirety. I loved walking through the tunnels, they seem to add further interest what would be an ordinary railway walk. Don't get me wrong, the area is beautiful, but railways have never been my thing.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle/monsaltrail

I would love to hear views and stories from fellow walkers.

Absolutely fantastic !! As you know we / The northern striders, did the walk from Monsal Head to Millersdale at the back end of last year.

Last week i did the walk from Bakewell station to Wyedale and back,passing some lovely scenery,the Lime kilns, i also come across some nutters absailing from a Viaduct :gag: I came to an end at a 5 bar gate,taking you off the trail onto the A6.

A very enjoyable route. :)

Oh forgot to add, dem tunnels are amazing .....

Edited by Mr Pops

Absolutely fantastic !! As you know we / The northern striders, did the walk from Monsal Head to Millersdale at the back end of last year.

Last week i did the walk from Bakewell station to Wyedale and back,passing some lovely scenery,the Lime kilns, i also come across some nutters absailing from a Viaduct :gag: I came to an end at a 5 bar gate,taking you off the trail onto the A6.

That was a good walk.

We should do it again soon, with maybe a deviation up the nearby hills.

That was a good walk.

It was, and yes we should :)

Hubby and I complete with dog did it last June.

We parked near the trail in Bakewell and caught the bus through to Wyedale car park and walked back to Bakewell. I can't remember how long it took but it was a very enjoyable walk.

Only thing when we went there was some inconsiderate cyclists (I'm not saying all are, most are very pleasant) but other than that I would highly reccomend it. The tunnels are well lit.

Guest sibon
That was a good walk.

You could go for a scramble through Chee Dale, climb up the valley and come back through the tunnels.

I did that last summer, it was a fantastic walk. The dale might be a bit wet at the moment though:)

I found that opening the tunnels has made it into a great trail for bikes but an utterly boring walk.

I found that opening the tunnels has made it into a great trail for bikes but an utterly boring walk.

I am a dedicated walker,and have walked the Monsal & Tissington Trail many times.i don't have a problem with bikes,providing they use a bell to let people know when they approach.

I too have done the Monsal Trail on a bike. PS No you cant call it a boring walk

Compared to how the Monsal trail was before, I can certainly say that they have made it utterly boring. Miles and miles of straight, flat, tarmac compared to the paths that take you down through Litton, cheedale, cressbrook etc.

As a bit of a crippple, it would be perfect for me, if only I were able to walk more than five steps without searing sciatic pain ... so just spare a thought for those who would LOVE to walk and can, but need a flat surface.

You don't have to stick to the trail, plenty of paths off it :)

You don't have to stick to the trail, plenty of paths off it :)

I certainly won't stick to the trail again, but that wasn't the original question!