Looking for a 100% natural skincare/body/haircare range

Looking for a 100% natural skincare/body/haircare range.

With todays skin care being packed full of nasties, check out 'Simple's kind to skin' ingredients list!!! :o Even Lush products contain parabens! I am now looking to overhaul my entire bathroom cabinet and make up bag.

I've found a few on the internet but really would like to find some local in sheffield, does anyone have any recommendations on products they've found and liked or where to buy?

Must be 100% natural, no chemicals, parabens, sls, synthetics etc.....

Also could anyone recommend me any natural cosmetics?

Thanks

Edited by fridayfeelin

Hi

I make my own soap for this reason.

I make cold pressed soap, a lot of work but really nice, then I add essential oils to fragrance it.

My soap generally contains olive oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, castor oil and sometimes shea butter.

You also use caustic soda (ALL soap is made using this as it is completely impossible to make soap without it as it is what turn the oils from liquid to solid) but once the soap has cured for 6 weeks there is no caustic element left at all.

One thing to note though is that a lot of people have problems with essential oils so sometimes fragrance oils are better for the skin...or no fragrance at all.

Look in to how to make it...it's good fun too!

Thanks Sarah,

I have stumbled upon this but was unsure if I would be able to get the ingredients. Do you know where I could get them from?

Hi

There are good site called gracefruit and justasoap to get the oils and butters from.

You also need to work out the ingredients VERY carefully and use what is called a 'lye calcualtor' to work out the exact anout of oils and caustic soda. be sure that you actually weight the ingredients on scales too...so if it says 4oz of olive oil it menad 4ox in weight, not fluid ounces.

A lye calcualtor can be found at a site called soapcalc.

Also, don't sell any soap if you make it.

In order to be able to sell it you have to have a cosmetic safety assessment and have insurance, or you can get in serios trouble with EU regulations!

Thankyou for the advice, it's very helpful! I will look into it and see if I can make soap myself. I have been recommended a few books on how to make your own hand and body creams too so think i'll busy for quite while!!

Thanks Renourish, i've checked out the site but disappointed to find their face creams have chemical preservatives and synthetics in them too, I am looking for 100% natural. I have found a site called HandMadeNaturals and they stock exactly what I am searching for so looks like i'll be placing an order.

Any more recommendations would be welcome!

Friday

Have a look around online too.

There are so many recipes for things like whipped shea body butters etc.

It might cost you a bit to get going but it really is worth it!

Bath melt are nice too.

Just melt two parts melted cocoa butter to one part olive oil or sweet almond oil and fragrance however you like! Pour in to a little case or silicon ice cube mold and leave to set. You only need a tiny (15g) melt for one bath. It makes you feel a bit like an oil slick whilst in there but it soaks in once you are out and feels lovely.

For each bath you need about 8 drops of essential oil.

Alternatively don't fragrance them at all and just add a few drops of essential oil to your bath water at the same time as the melt.

Just make sure you clean the bath well before anyone else gets in as it will be VERY slippy!

A great cleanser/moisturiser is sunflower oil mixed with 20% castor oil. Massage into your face in small circular motions for a few minutes, then using a hot wet flannel just press it into your face to steam until it goes cold, do about 3 times, you shouldn't need a moisturiser after this but if you do just use a little sunflower oil on its own.

A great hair conditioner is coconut oil, just comb through dry hair leave for 20 minutes then wash out, no need to condition after.

Thanks again Sarah, I have been having a look at the sites you listed and found the ingredients are easily available and very cheap!

Thanks, I had a look at a moisturiser on that site and here's what I found hiding in it:

aqua, propylene glycol, paraffinum liquidum, stearic acid, cetyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, sesamum indicum (sesame oil), oenothera biennis (evening primrose oil), triethanolamine, octyl dimethyl paba (sun filter), persea gratissima (avocado oil), imidazolidinyl urea, carbomer, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), pelargonium capitatum (rose geranium oil), daucus carota (carrot oil), methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium stearate, BHA, citric acid, propyl gallate, geraniol, linalool, citronellol, limonene.

A few nasties there!

This 100% natural lark isn't quite as easy as i thought, so many companies are saying 'includes pure this and that' then when you delve into the actual ingredients list you find the above usually worse!

I think what I might do is just order some coconut oil/butter etc... and use that for moisterising and conditioner etc....

I was shocked to see a product in boots a few weeks ago that said 'this will treat dry sensitive skin, for adults and babies, pure and natural'.....on the back of the packet it stated in small letters 'Some of the ingredients may irritate skin' and when looking at the ingredients I could see why......:loopy: so the front stated it cured your skin and the back said it may irriate it....unbelievable!

No problem Friday.

Other things you will need for soap making are thermometers (the jam ones from waitrose are the right ones and are cheaper than elsewhere.) You could do with two but one will do as long as you clean it between taking the temperatues of the oils, and the lye solution (this will make sense once you look in to making cold pressed soap)

Take a look at the candleandsoap or teachsoap websites for easy to follow instructions.

You will also need safty goggles and rubber gloves for when you mix the caustic soda.

Sounds ridicuolous when you are making something so gentle, that you use something so harsh in it!

The caustic soda honestly doesn't remain in the soap. It causes a process called saponification and the caustic side of it no longer exists in the finished product.

The worst part of soap making is having to wait 6 weks before you can use it!

You can just buy the melt and pour bases and add fragrance, but they aren't natural at all!

I was shocked to see a product in boots a few weeks ago that said 'this will treat dry sensitive skin, for adults and babies, pure and natural'.....on the back of the packet it stated in small letters 'Some of the ingredients may irritate skin' and when looking at the ingredients I could see why......:loopy: so the front stated it cured your skin and the back said it may irriate it....unbelievable!

Lanolin is one of the biggest culprits for that - it's very natural - it's an oil from sheep's wool, but it causes skin rashes in some people whilst being an incredible natural moisturiser for others. There's no need to get hysterical about it - you just need to know what suits your own skin