Gove: "Lets buy the Queen a £60m Yacht!"

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Who the (bleep-bleep) is Craig Mackinlay? never heard of him.

No, neither have I but he touted a similar plan back in 2018.  The cost given then was £120 million. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-42996012

Let's not forget, whatever the rumoured cost, you could add probably another 20% on top?  How many such projects come in on budget?  Additionally, what would be the yearly running costs for a £190 million yacht & I wonder who would be picking up that tab?   Such costs are never factored in to the headline figures.  Plus the cost already appears to have rise £70 million in approximately 3 years? 

It was amusing to watch Mackinlay this morning, trying to justify this.  At one stage he said it could be used as a hospital ship in times of need.  Journalist, Eve Pollard then pointed out that this was one of the arguments put forward for the previous Royal Yacht, Britannia & of course when the time came when Britannia could have been used in such a capacity, the Falklands conflict, it was deemed unsuitable. 

If business needs a boat for business, then let business pay for one.  Alternatively, we have numerous oligarchs in London, just ask to rent one their enormous super yachts. 

Edited by Baron99

I wonder if the monarchy will survive much beyond the Queen? Few in the family have her sense of hard work and duty. There will be a lot of constitutional problems with Charles, and I'm not sure William even wants it, especially when he sees the life of Riley Harry's living in the California sunshine with all the money and few restrictions. He might want out. 

Thanks for the link, @Baron99 - so he's one of the 'useless' MP's, just trying to make a name for himself and failing miserably.

In case no-one has realised yet, I admit to being a 'Right-wing Monarchist', as those on the left would describe me, but I too fail to see the advantage of such an idea, and assume that when the previous vessel was decommissioned, it was correctly decided the cost of a replacement could not be justified.

50 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Train young people for what? Shipbuilding?

I would imagine there are a huge number of things that working on a ship could teach young people, including how they're built.

Build some lifeboats or some other boats which have a use beyond providing a free, floating pleasure cruise for the very select few.

A select few doesn't have to be "rich people". The DofE Awards scheme being a good example.

...but on the whole, agree'd.

Just pointing out than in the wider context, the cost is almost negligible, we're burning through far far more than that every week on other "projects" :roll:

A £190m yacht isn't going to show British excellence anyway, Russian oligarchs are already way beyond those sorts of prices.

Edited by Magilla

2 hours ago, Magilla said:

I would imagine there are a huge number of things that working on a ship could teach young people, including how they're built.

A select few doesn't have to be "rich people". The DofE Awards scheme being a good example.

...but on the whole, agree'd.

Just pointing out than in the wider context, the cost is almost negligible, we're burning through far far more than that every week on other "projects" :roll:

A £190m yacht isn't going to show British excellence anyway, Russian oligarchs are already way beyond those sorts of prices.

I'm sure there are so many more effective ways of training young people than building a new royal yacht.

You're right, a select few doesn't have to rich people or the royal family. Except it will be, as it was before. All that guff about the yacht and palaces belonging to the nation. Maybe technically so, but they are generally for the sole use of one ridiculously privileged family, and their friends.