Hendersons relish

Why isn't hendersons huge all over the world? Do the owners want to keep it small? It's far nicer than Worcester sauce ... although I live there now!

About 25 years ago I worked for someone who was part of a consortium who, so he told me, offered huge and increasing sums of money to the Henderson family (I think brothers) to enable them to distribute the stuff outside the 'catchment area'

On each occasion they went back with a higher offer they were told, politely but bluntly 'NO'

I don't know the reason why - what I do know is that when I come home to Sheff I always stock up with a few bottles - trouble is I also now have to get orders for the son - in law's parents and several friends who all agree that meat and potato pie etc just don't taste the same without Hendersons relish

The aforementioned son - in laws Mum has gone so far as to come up with a recipe for a chicken dish which features Hendersons quite heavily in the sauce - I tried it a few weeks back and it was wonderful.

:( we can't get hendersons ere in scarbro,i managed 2 get some in skeggy last year,liquid manna! livens any dull ole savoury up!

Why isn't hendersons huge all over the world? Do the owners want to keep it small? It's far nicer than Worcester sauce ... although I live there now!

It isn't huge all over the world for one simple reason....It's Rubbish.

The owners are frightened of being found out...they have got away with it for over 100 years. I know one of them personally and he confided to me that he has trouble sleeping at night for fear of the charade being revealed!

I think we should organise a blind 'Taste Off' in Fargate Hendos against The masterful Lea & Perrins.

I am sure you will all agree L&P would win handsomely.

It's time for action.

:( mebbe in tomato juice,but not on yer pastie!

:hihi: looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

lol @ wino

theres already tons of these threads about why hendies aint more popular outside sheff...........its cos people outside dont really know about it, and the hendies factory is still small so couldnt manufacture enough anyway

Bugger off to Derby Knumpton

Hmm, I note Winemaster you think your location is a Vineyard in South Yorkshire!

I rest my case, a lifelong addiction to Hendersons has taken it's predictable, yet sad course. The mirage of a Vineyard suggests the brain is addled and the spirit broken.

Rise up Sheffield and take the challenge.

It may be too late for Winemaster, but redemption from the curse can be achieved.

Sorry Kimpton. I will use L&P if nowt else available. Its good, I'll grant you, but not half as good as Hendos.

Aha! So it's all the ex-pats coming back to Sheffield and buying all of the stock up that accounts for why every shop I've been in for the last few weeks has had an empty shelf where the Hendo's should be!

Please stop doing it- I want to buy a bottle.