Roofer recommendations megathread - NO JOBS, ADVERTISING OR QUOTES

Hi, My garage roof needs replacing and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations . It is a flat roof and we are in S35.

GRP is dodgy this time of year as its got to be 100% dry and 6 degrees minimum.

Id go rubber if possible.

This thread is useful to me too. My flat roof was felted in 2005 with High Performance Roofing Felt. Been up there around September and while it looks in tact, there is a small section (18 inches square) that has raised slightly from the boards, like an Air Bubble, not torn though.

Could probably do with a proper inspection, could only afford a temp repair (if it's absolutley needed) at the moment.

So, I am interested in knowing who the trusted guys are who will be honest and quote me a repair and not try scare me into having the whole roof done if I can get a few more years out of it, so I can save up for the inevitable re-roof in the future. I am in Sheffield 10.

Thanks.

This thread is useful to me too. My flat roof was felted in 2005 with High Performance Roofing Felt. Been up there around September and while it looks in tact, there is a small section (18 inches square) that has raised slightly from the boards, like an Air Bubble, not torn though.

Could probably do with a proper inspection, could only afford a temp repair (if it's absolutley needed) at the moment.

So, I am interested in knowing who the trusted guys are who will be honest and quote me a repair and not try scare me into having the whole roof done if I can get a few more years out of it, so I can save up for the inevitable re-roof in the future. I am in Sheffield 10.

Thanks.

If the felt has bubbled it wasn't stuck down properly in the first place.

My advice would be just to leave it.

If the felt was laid in 2005 it'll not have that many years of life left in it anyway.

If its not leaking, its OK.

If the felt has bubbled it wasn't stuck down properly in the first place.

My advice would be just to leave it.

If the felt was laid in 2005 it'll not have that many years of life left in it anyway.

If its not leaking, its OK.

Thanks @dan2802 much appreciated.

I did leave it last year, so my roof wasn't properly insured in event of storm damage.

The insurance companies all quote that they need the roof "inspected every x amount of years by a builder or roofer and any necessary repairs carried out immediately."

It is 13 years old, yes, it feels really tough stuff though, not your normal shed roof felt obviously and thankfully, as of today, it's not leaking.

you think it's in my best interest to get it inspected and repaired to satisfy the insurance companies. That is if it is deemed necessary as a repair by a roofer?

Thanks @dan2802 much appreciated.

I did leave it last year, so my roof wasn't properly insured in event of storm damage.

The insurance companies all quote that they need the roof "inspected every x amount of years by a builder or roofer and any necessary repairs carried out immediately."

It is 13 years old, yes, it feels really tough stuff though, not your normal shed roof felt obviously and thankfully, as of today, it's not leaking.

you think it's in my best interest to get it inspected and repaired to satisfy the insurance companies. That is if it is deemed necessary as a repair by a roofer?

Your insurers wouldn't cover wear & tear so don't worry about them !!!

Need about 8 tiles replacing ? Recommendations please

Need Guttering replacing please on a mid terrace, recommendations please

I have a leaking gutter at back of house and a couple of roof slates missing and a couple loose....it's a mid terrace house.....any recommendations please ?? I'm in Hillsborough, close to Sheffield Wednesday Ground

The roof on our garage is the corrugated asbestos type. It’s cracking, leaking and beginning to flake a bit so needs replacing asap.

So far I’ve been quoted quite lot by Compton who seem to have a monopoly in the area.

I don’t really want to go over the top as we may have an extension in a few years which means it would come down anyway.

Does anyone know of someone other than Compton who can do this (disposing of the asbestos properly) and what sort of price to expect? I know I can do it myself and double bag it to the tip but I’m not sure I fancy it or have the skills or time to put something non asbestos back on.

Many thanks

The roof on our garage is the corrugated asbestos type. It’s cracking, leaking and beginning to flake a bit so needs replacing asap.

So far I’ve been quoted quite lot by Compton who seem to have a monopoly in the area.

I don’t really want to go over the top as we may have an extension in a few years which means it would come down anyway.

Does anyone know of someone other than Compton who can do this (disposing of the asbestos properly) and what sort of price to expect? I know I can do it myself and double bag it to the tip but I’m not sure I fancy it or have the skills or time to put something non asbestos back on.

Many thanks

Never heard of Compton. What area are you in ?

Hi

I have a couple of missing tiles / slates.

Located in S6

Anyone have someone recent to recommend?

Ta