Roofer recommendations megathread - NO JOBS, ADVERTISING OR QUOTES

I've just had a survey come back on a property I'm hoping to buy which indicates it would be 'prudent therefore to instruct a competent roofing contractor to carry out further investigation' on the roof.

It's a turn of the century terrace, so I'm not exactly surprised but can anyone recommend someone good who can give me (and therefore the vendor) an honest and accurate picture of the condition of the roof and what work, if any, may need to be done.

Thanks.

I used Alliance Roofing, great job, great price and local to S6 and a member of the FMB. I have Canadian Glenndynes on my roof which are the same as Welsh era wise with a slightly different colour to welsh and a damn sight lot cheaper. It looks classy too unlike that cheap fibre stuff. it depends on if you are planning to stay or sell up and move on.

Dave Middleton is the person you need to talk to, they are clean and respect both yours and other neighbours privacy and are actually roofers and not cowboys. I am happy to recommend and endorse them as I'm very happy with my roof, 7 years on and it still looks stunning.

I'm not on commision if you are asking however I like a job doing properly by trained people - you get what you pay for........Don't use Daltons!

I invited a few companies round for quotes, some were rediculous priced quotes, yet others when I read into them weren't actually either qualified properly or insured and that is damn right scarry!!

Choose carefully

Edited by Norseman

Just had Zac Sturch from Inspired Roofing round today to re-seat my garage roof tiles. Wasn't the cheapest quote but also not the most expensive.

A fantastic job, clean tidied up all their gubbins and the gutters afterwards and here for a hefty chunk of the day. The guy is a perfectionist, that is blatantly obvious by the outcome, and wouldn't hesitate calling him again for any other roof related issues.

His contact number is 07525048409 & 01142641235

:thumbsup:

Thank you very much mark I'm glad your very happy with the work we have done for you thanks again. And thanks again for the recommendation.

Thank you very much mark I'm glad your very happy with the work we have done for you thanks again. And thanks again for the recommendation.

Hi Zac, the link to your website is down. Do you have an email address I can contact you on?

I'm looking for some quotes for the following work (taken from Survey).

Please DM me for the address of the property of this is something you can help with. Ideally I'd been looking for the work to take place in late Sept/early Oct, so if you are unable to fit it in within these timeframes please don't offer to quote.

Roof and coverings

The property has a conventional timber framed dual pitched roof overlaid with a mineral cement roof tile with cement bedded concrete ridge tiles. To the rear pitch there is a timber dormer. Within the front and rear pitches there are ventilated roof tiles and to the ridge there are 2no. ventilation ridge tiles.

There is a cement verge fillet to the projecting gable wall to the right hand flank elevation. Over the front timber bay window there is a lead flat roof in good condition.

The roof covering appears generally in fair condition, 3no. tiles have slipped to the rear elevation and there is a hole to the right hand side of the front pitch where the metal flue pipe is missing. The ridge tiles to the right hand gable kick up significantly. Cement bedded ridge tiles appear securely fixed and in good condition.

The timber work to the rear dormer is showing signs of decay and is in poor decorative order.

To the rear extension there is a flat roof overlaid with bituminous felt and whilst currently watertight the edges to the upstands are split and in poor condition. We would recommend that the roof is recovered.

There is an attic bedroom within the roof void, the rear roof voids to the right and left hand side are screwed shut and from our inspection of the roof void to the front of the property we confirmed that the roof covering has an underlying waterproof sarking felt to the underside of the tiles and when tested the majority of the roof timbers were noted to have a low moisture content. There is a hole in the roof where the metal flue pipe is missing (as mentioned above)

We confirmed that the roof structure is made up from timber rafters at approximately 500mm centres and are supported by two lateral purlins to the front elevation and one to the rear dormer. These are supported within the party walls to the right and left hand side and where visible can be seen to securely fixed. The front roof void can be seen to benefit from an adequate level of roof insulation.

Due to obvious access restrictions we were unable to undertaken a full inspection of both roof spaces externally, but from what we were able to determine from ground level, we did not note any signs of sagging or deflection and such appears that the structural timbers comprising the main roof structure are of sound condition, confirmed from our internal inspection and as such no remedial sloping works are deemed to be required as

part of the recommended works.

Gutters

The gutters to the front and rear elevation are the original timber gutters, supported by timber brackets. The guttering to the front elevation is leaking, the brickwork at high level is damp stained causing efflorescence and spalling of the brickwork. The joint to the rear gutter has been repaired with a bitumen type material. The timber guttering should be replaced.

The gutter to the rear extension is plastic, fixed with plastic brackets. One of the brackets is broken causing the gutter to distort. There is a plastic downpipe to the rear extension fixed with plastic brackets, 1 no. bracket is broken but otherwise in a good and serviceable condition. To the front elevation there is a plastic rainwater pipe fixed with plastic brackets and it is securely fixed and in sound condition.

Thank you :)

Edited by lebomb

At the age you describe the roof will undoubtably be reaching the end of its life. That doesnt mean its in need of replacement right now but it more than lightly will do in the not to distant future.

Happy to take a look but currently booked up with work until August.

Definitely recommend this chap.

Good, honest, hard worker at a very reasonable rate.

Definitely recommend this chap.

Good, honest, hard worker at a very reasonable rate.

Thanks, already have contacted him amongst a few others but want a few more quotes

Cheers guys.

I think we have spoken this evening about the quote lebomb.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure for a 3m X 5m flat fibreglass roof as I've absolutely no idea on what would be a reasonable price. Cheers

Can anyone give me a ball park figure for a 3m X 5m flat fibreglass roof as I've absolutely no idea on what would be a reasonable price. Cheers

Just sent you a PM. Cheers. Dan

Any recommended roofers for Swinton area? Need ridge tiles re-bedding and few tiles replacing

thanks

Edited by JESSBOB

Hello, this thread is a bit old now but wondered if anyone can recommend a decent trustworthy roofer.

Getting problems with wet patches in attic bedroom which is also very cold so maybe an insulation issue too. Some people saying its small jobs to fix others saying complete re-roof.

Can anyone help?

Hillsborough s6