Northumberland Rd Hole in ground

Seems amazing nothing has been done with this valuable site!

Who owns it?

There was a planning application to convert it into a car park by some company or other but it was turned down for access reasons, as i remember. I think this was 2016.

The university's now halted plans to re-build the sports centre did not include the 'ole, surprisingly. Someone must think it valuable enough to keep hold of it.

I blame Bernard Cribbins

There I was, a-digging this hole, A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was. There was I, digging it deep, It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep. When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched his head. Well we looked down the hole, poor demented soul

I blame Bernard Cribbins

There I was, a-digging this hole, A hole in the ground, so big and sort of round it was. There was I, digging it deep, It was flat at at the bottom and the sides were steep. When along, comes this bloke in a bowler which he lifted and scratched his head. Well we looked down the hole, poor demented soul

love it ! a real blast from the past.

What is chavscum?

A term used by idiots to describe anyone they think are lower than them.

There is a big police presence at t'Hole today. Not sure if they are actually searching for something or using it as a training area but there were 10-15 of them being briefed when I walked past. I hope it is nothing serious.

There is a big police presence at t'Hole today. Not sure if they are actually searching for something or using it as a training area but there were 10-15 of them being briefed when I walked past. I hope it is nothing serious.

I went past there at about 8:55 this morning and two police vans had just pulled up. Hope it's nothing sinister.

Must admit my main thought was annoyance that they'd parked on the pavement (between the gate to t'hole and the driveway to Goodwin) and were therefore forcing pedestrians to walk in the road.

Must admit my main thought was annoyance that they'd parked on the pavement (between the gate to t'hole and the driveway to Goodwin) and were therefore forcing pedestrians to walk in the road.

I was also annoyed by the parking, nearly walking in front of a cyclist in the road (which is a whole other thread). On reflection, they were probably trying to hide what they were doing from passers-by. As you say, I hope it is nothing too sinister.

I went past there at about 8:55 this morning and two police vans had just pulled up. Hope it's nothing sinister.

Did you say anything to them about how they'd parked? I certainly would have

Guest makapaka
Did you say anything to them about how they'd parked? I certainly would have

Maybe they were on important police business and weren’t overly concerned with slightly inconvenienced pedestrians at that time.

The vegetation has now been largely cleared from this site. There was a police car standing by, so it is still not clear if the clearance is commercial or is a search for evidence.

Edit: Gossip has it that the police activity was for the removal of a rough sleeper form the site before clearance.

I have not found any new planning applications for the site, so it is unclear what is happening at this site now.

Edited by PeteM01