PC Freezing, and not restarting

Well this one is confusing the living hell out of me, think know the problem but let me know your thoughts.

My PC is about 4 years old its an AMD x2 4800, 3gb ram, GTS250 graphics card Windows 7 (genuine), good air supply and running around 40-50 degrees C

All of a sudden it has started freezing, generally when playing facebook type games, but also can happen middle of night when not actually using it. when it freezes you can only fix by pressing reset, even caps lock light on keyboard doesnt come on if you press it so major lock up. - my thought on soultion, anti virus and anti malware, nothing, so uninstalled flash player using adobes flash uninstaller, no change, same problem.

To confuse matters more when I do press reset sometimes it freezes before the memory check at POST, but no beeps. I then have to turn it off at the psu for a couple of minutes turn it back on and we are away again.

MY thought is 4 year old so motherboard / processor / memory could do with changing.

Your thoughts please

Run a mem test, hdd test,cpu test (various programs online) Run prime 95 to see if it happens when on load, check your capacitors on the mainboard and look if they are bulging or leaking.

thanks, will try that, no problems with capacitors.

very dusty so just had a go at it with dyson lol

very dusty so just had a go at it with dyson lol

Not the best of ideas.

Not the best of ideas.

cant make it any worse tho

cant make it any worse tho

Compressed air is usually best but I have used Vac's before, The only prob with Vac's is you can suck off jumpers.

jumperless board, so fairly safe on that but thanks

ok run stress test on cpu for 20 mins tested hdd, not frozen

however before did test was on firefox on sky website with msn open and froze again.

its the randomness thats confusing as is the fail to start at POST

its the randomness thats confusing as is the fail to start at POST

Right....

I had (and still have) something very similar happen with my old box, turned out that it only shut down when a certain HD was in the caddy or internally fitted. If I remove the HD then there are no issues. I went through all manner of tests and fitted new RAM, PSU, GFX card, nothing stopped the random freezez/shut downs.

I'm not saying it's the same for yourself, though I would look towards a HW issue rather than a SW one.

Compressed air is usually best but I have used Vac's before, The only prob with Vac's is you can suck off jumpers.

Whos, jumpers? :hihi:

Hdd probably older still but the post freezes between CPU and memory not at Hdd

And chkdsk is fine

And chkdsk is fine

How many mem dimms? If you have more than one try with one in onerest out then swap around, also try using memtest to test our mem.

On reboot, my post POST freezes were random and never froze due to the HD either (sometimes it would not even reboot to the POST results - no beeps, nothing).

And chkdsk is fine

As it was for me.