Sheffield books

Not quite sure if this is the correct section but here goes, My ma in law was born and raised in and around Attercliffe and she loves reading about the area,

Can anyone recommend any books she can try , she has Weerz me Dad / Mam

also Life & Love on the Cliff and Tha dont Look Proper .

She was born in the thirties on Westbury Road. Any suggestions please ?.

You could try The Porter Bookshop on sharrowvale road. Its a second hand bookshop but all of the books are good quality and a decent price. I know this because my Dad used to own it. He founded it years ago but unfortunately he passed away a few years ago so he passed the business onto someone else. As far as I know it is still going and they always had some quirky books about all sorts. Its worth a shot.

Is Don Alexanders still on Ecclesall Road? He used to do all things Sheffield.

Theres also a printers on Shalesmoor that sold the 'Whers me mam' and Wheres me dad' books (think they spell Where differently in the title tho), I'll see if I can find the name, its next to the 'Ship Inn' pub

I have a few Sheffield books which Im happy to sell (I no longer live in Sheffield so would have to post them back to you or send them back for collection from a relative).

My books are all read but in good clean condition and so you can see what they are here they are on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752400118

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184015182X

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752406620

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1873626657

I've got the following books for sale, all at £5 each. Postage is £2.80 for each book but that that will be reduced if you buy more than 1 book.

1. The Story of Sheffield by John Derry: hardback 1971

2. Before and After Bramall Lane by Keith Farnsworth: paperback 1988

3. The Bumper Book of Beanos by Clare Jenkins: paperback 1988

4. Mary Queen of Scots. The Captive Queen by J. Keith Cheetham: paperback 1982

5. Sheffield Walkabout by Stephen McClarence: paperback 1988

6. Survivors of Steel City. A Portrait of Sheffield by Geoffrey Beattie: paperback 1986

7. Secret Ingredient. The Story of Fletcher's Seven Bakeries by Howard Hill: hardback 1978

8. Crashing Steel by Stewart Dalton: paperback 1999

9. Aspects of Sheffield 1. Discovering Local History by Melvyn Jones: paperback 1997

10. Old Sheffield Town by J.Edward Vickers: hardback 1978

11. Sheffield on Wheels. Trams, Jams and Charabancs by Brian Lewis and Ian Clayton: paperback 1994

12. Sheffield. City on the Move: paperback 1970's

13. The Tramway Era in Sheffield. Souvenir brochure on the closure of the tramways 8 Oct 1960: paperback 1960

14. They lived in Sharrow and Nether Edge: paperback 1988

15. Snooker's Crucible by Jeremy Watson and Geoff Kemp: paperback 1988

16. Lyceum Theatre by James Richardson and Damon Fairclough: paperback 1990

17. Wednesday by Keith Farnsworth: paperback 1982

18. Diamonds in Brown Paper by Gill Booth: paperback 1988

Oxfam on Glossop Road has a local books section right in front of you when you go in the door.

There is a stall that sells Sheffield books at Nether Edge Farmers' Market, though the next one isn't until the end of March. Worth a look if you remember and can go there.