Piracy student from Sheffield can be extradited to US

You do surprise me.

Actors are playing a part - they're not really like that.

Do you think the actors in 'Brokeback Mountain' were homoxual?

Do you think Bruce Willis is really a 'hard man' (he refused to fly after 9/11 in case the terrorists were after him.)

I know that when a character in a soap opera (Carnation St, East Benders, etc) has 'an event' there is are a few people who think it's real, but are you really suggesting that the people where you live can't differentiate between 'films' and 'real life'?

That's scary.

You'd better hope they don't do a re-run of 'A Clockwork Orange' anytime soon.

Khorosho.

That classic blend of patronising arrogance and blatant stupidity...comedy gold! You see, it definitely isn't me who is being extremely dense here. I have wondered in the past if your cryptic pronouncements were the result of a sharp and subtle intellect. Following this one, I'm more inclined to believe you are just a bit confused.

In fact it's rather boring that I have to explain something this obvious to you, but I can't let you get away with such a puffed up display of stupidity. British actors of an age to play Thatcher lived through the Thatcher years. Maybe some of them, like yourself, lack the capacity to work out that the film will have a bias one way or the other, but the reality would dawn even on them after seeing the script. One way or another, it is going to be a film which annoys a lot of people, and it could get rather uncomfortable for any mainstream British actor seen to be colluding in a piece of revisionist propaganda. (you can find those last words in the dictionary).

Apart from being unable to grasp this pretty obvious point, you also seem to be confusing soap operas and novels with real life. You see, Margaret Thatcher is a real person, and the film purports to be portraying the real events of her life. East Enders and Brokback Mountain are stories. You know, made up. People aren't going to get annoyed at actors for innaccurately portraying made up people, because it isn't possible to innacurately portray people who don't really exist. So you see, there is no legitimate comparison to be made, except for people whose brains are made of jelly.

I'll give you credit for the King's Speech. Some Brit movies never get released where I live for whatever reason. Maybe it's an accent problem when some characters speak in broad north country or the fast talking cockney. My wife catches about 2 words out of 3. I've even seen some movies from England that have English subtitles to assist American audiences.

Two nations divided by a common language to quote Churchill. I've no beef with you JFK. I've always respected your comments. I just like to have a go at the churls who invariably use every thread on any subejct American to voice their biased and often ignorant opinions..

This country has been very good to me and I'm grateful for it. No harm in putting in a good word for the Stars and Stripes. God only knows hardly anyone else does.

Wasn't you aware of the movie, Slumdog Millionaire that was released a few years ago, it picked up best movie and best director at the Oscars? What about the most successful film franchise, Harry Potter; does that count as being British? Also have you heard of the director Christopher Nolan? He's a pretty popular in the USA at the moment?

Not too long ago, I read an article about how the Chinese have zero respect for IP rights. There was an exact carbon copy of a company, operating within China, that had the nerve to approach the original company offering a partnership. And they had no clue WHY the original company might have a problem with that!

That is damn amusing! What was the company do you remember?

but the copyright holders are paid by the advertisers for the privilege to do so. Not only are they not getting paid for the use of their material, they're also losing out on the advertising profit!

Actually (at least in the UK) the TV broadcaster pays the copyright holder, then the broadcaster gets the ad revenue.

Who's going to do all this checking? And removing? And whose going to double check them? Sounds like a nightmare. What if something is removed by mistake? You know how litigious we are, lawsuit!

One file hosting site gave Warner Brothers studios a tool to take down their material, but they used the tool to remove material they had no right to remove (http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/11/12/0410256/warner-brothers-automated-takedown-notices-hit-files-that-werent-ours, http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2108848/hotfile-sues-warner-brothers, http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2124038/warner-bros-admits-false-takedown-requests).

And if you want new episodes of The Simpsons, the latest Will Smith movie, or Stephen King novel, ask nice.;)

Please, keep 'em.

Edited by sccsux

That classic blend of patronising arrogance and blatant stupidity...comedy gold! You see, it definitely isn't me who is being extremely dense here. I have wondered in the past if your cryptic pronouncements were the result of a sharp and subtle intellect. Following this one, I'm more inclined to believe you are just a bit confused.

In fact it's rather boring that I have to explain something this obvious to you, but I can't let you get away with such a puffed up display of stupidity. British actors of an age to play Thatcher lived through the Thatcher years. Maybe some of them, like yourself, lack the capacity to work out that the film will have a bias one way or the other, but the reality would dawn even on them after seeing the script. One way or another, it is going to be a film which annoys a lot of people, and it could get rather uncomfortable for any mainstream British actor seen to be colluding in a piece of revisionist propaganda. (you can find those last words in the dictionary).

Apart from being unable to grasp this pretty obvious point, you also seem to be confusing soap operas and novels with real life. You see, Margaret Thatcher is a real person, and the film purports to be portraying the real events of her life. East Enders and Brokback Mountain are stories. You know, made up. People aren't going to get annoyed at actors for innaccurately portraying made up people, because it isn't possible to innacurately portray people who don't really exist. So you see, there is no legitimate comparison to be made, except for people whose brains are made of jelly.

Thatcher is only an important figure of love/hate for those at the top of society and those at the bottom, the majority in the middle were indiferent to her.

I really think SOPA is aimed at China. The rest of us are small potatoes.

See what Leading First Amendment lawyer and Internet policy expert Marvin Ammori says about SOPA and PIPA here and how legitimate site such as Reddit could be affected here.

Even Go-Daddy have withdrawn their support for the bill.

Edited by sccsux

Thatcher is only an important figure of love/hate for those at the top of society and those at the bottom, the majority in the middle were indiferent to her.

Two words to say to that "Daily" and "Mail". largest circulation in it's time, rabidly Thatcherite - like the Express - but with a readership mostly made up of the middle classes.

Edited by donkey

That is damn amusing! What was the company do you remember?

Unfortunately, I don't remember. It was a British paper and the wronged company was an English one. Apparently, the Chinese just "created" an exact copy, right down to the business logo.

Naturally, they were mad as hell but also a little fearful. The Chinese company was doing business in their name. Which cost them money and also might reflect badly on them if the work they did was shoddy. The owner of the company had tried to stop this with poor results. And it was the tip of the iceberg, it's commonplace in China. No one bothers to invent or innovate anything, because someone else will just make off with your work. And I guess Chinese customers either aren't the wiser or they don't care. The Chinese government did nothing to stop it and actually encourages it. I can't help thinking this is why their economy is booming.

There was also the bullet train fiasco last summer, where they bought a couple trains from Japan, then reverse engineered the things. Except, they didn't also steal the safety system. After the crash and numerous fatalities, they tried to blame Japanese design, but there has never been a single fatality on bullet trains in Japan. Ever. Which I thought was pretty impressive. I hadn't known that.

Wasn't you aware of the movie, Slumdog Millionaire that was released a few years ago, it picked up best movie and best director at the Oscars? What about the most successful film franchise, Harry Potter; does that count as being British? Also have you heard of the director Christopher Nolan? He's a pretty popular in the USA at the moment?

Slumdog and Harry Potter are films that dont appeal to me not being into stories about Mumbai slums and boy wizards.

As for Christopher Nolan I'll pass on his Batman movies as well. I did see Insomnia which was entertaining enough but also instantly forgettable.

I'm more orientated to the works of John Ford, John Huston and Steven Spielberg

I hope the little smartass is extradited and put on trial. I would hate the thought of someone streaming off anything that was my intellectual property while they profited from it and I lost out.

So would the rest of you. So enough of the humbug, hypocrisy and bulls**t.

O'Dwyer is a common thief, nothing more,nothing less. If he's not extradited then he should be made to pay back all the money he illegally made by the UK authorities

I agree with you. I bet he was laughing all over his face raking that money in, knowing that he was encouraging people to watch stuff illegally. He's not laughing now and neither is his ridiculous mother who came up with such marvellous soundbites as "the USA should sort their own country out before they come over here" & some other similar gems. She also implied that her little darling knew nothing about the real world. He knew enough to set up that website and earn money from something he knew wasn't right. Anyway, he'll get a crash course in the real world if he's put in a detention centre in New York.

You do surprise me.

Actors are playing a part - they're not really like that.

Do you think the actors in 'Brokeback Mountain' were homoxual?

Do you think Bruce Willis is really a 'hard man' (he refused to fly after 9/11 in case the terrorists were after him.)

I know that when a character in a soap opera (Carnation St, East Benders, etc) has 'an event' there is are a few people who think it's real, but are you really suggesting that the people where you live can't differentiate between 'films' and 'real life'?

That's scary.

You'd better hope they don't do a re-run of 'A Clockwork Orange' anytime soon.

Khorosho.

I have to take my hat off to some of the British made for TV productions we get on Masterpiece theater

Downton Abbey and Foy'e's War I give top marks for.

Also some of the older comedy types series such as Keeping up appearances and Waiting for God.

Never could watch Eastenders or Coronation Street either when in the UK or over here.

Coronation Street was never the same after Ena Sharples disappeared :D