Piracy student from Sheffield can be extradited to US

I have just converted myself to the Missionary Church of Kopimism.

Sweden gives digital piracy group religion status

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/sweden-gives-digital-piracy-group-religion-status/220441-11.html

http://kopimistsamfundet.se/english/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Church_of_Kopimism

"Would you be able to claim in a court that you should not be held liable for the act proven by the evidence in front of the court, because this act was your religion? No. No, you wouldn’t, and you shouldn’t, under any circumstance. But there is a step ahead of that scenario, which changes with religion status. There is the issue of going as far as to court.

Specifically, there is the issue of confession.

Conversations of preachers of official religions acting on official duty are privileged conversations, meaning they can’t be eavesdropped on or forced as evidence; a priest can even go to jail for inadvertently disclosing something that was said under the privileged conversation of confession. In this case of this religion, the preachers are defined as the ones facilitating holy copying (and remixing). Translated to nerdspeak, that means the communications between operators of trackers/hubs and the people who partake in the sacrament of copying now carries confessional status, by and large making it illegal and impossible to collect as evidence in a trial."

Could get interesting.

The article says quote "he hosts links to pirated films and TV shows" which means he is doing this without the permission of the owners of this entertainment.

How would you like it if you wrote a best selling novel and then found out that you could get on O'Dwyers link and see your novel available for free reading online?

It's not a fallacy that piracy costs us all. Maybe when these people on this thread end up paying more and more for their DVDs or paying ever higher rates for cable or satellite TV then they'll get their heads out of their asses and realize there's more involved to all this than just posting their usual little anti-yank diatrebs

But it is a fallacy.A complete one.A filesharer is one of the best customers of digital content.The copyright holders have not "lost" a sale because they were not going to get one in the first place.Stop believing everything you see on fox news.

Hollywood Pushes for SOPA, Earns Record Profits ..

Executive "pay" is at its highest ever.Profits at highest ever.

A study from last month...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114537-File-sharing-Remains-Legal-In-Switzerland

"The study's findings were released late last week and not only did it find that file-sharing under the current Swiss copyright laws (in which downloading media for personal consumption is legal) does not damage the income of copyright holders, it claims that file-sharing actually increases the amount of cash people are willing to spend on music, movies and games."

I download digital content and still spend about £1k a year on games/books/films etc.

It is all about control for the corporations and taking away your civil liberties,you should be a lot more concerned about SOPA Harleyman.If your postman starts opening all your mail to check there isn`t a copyrighted poem in there is that any different to checking out ALL your internet activity.

Such dangerous ground is being trod upon.Your freedoms are being taken away one by one.

Edited by XXTickerXX

The US flag code states where, when and how their crappy flag can be displayed.

Of course their flag is just a cheap rip off of the colonial flag that had the Union flag where the stars are dumped now.

It would seem, disrespect to that symbol of world arrogance is a naughty no no.

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a way that would allow it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged..

The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

I, as many of you will be aware, am a capitalist.

That in mind, I'm going to get some stars and stripes bog roll printed with "Free UK political prisoners held in the US" printed over their crap flag.

I say "crap" because, being toilet roll, it will be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding and carrying crap.

It will get soiled but I'll try to get reasonable quality paper so it doesn't tear.

That may result in the need to clean under your fingernails.

The US flag code states where, when and how their crappy flag can be displayed.

Of course their flag is just a cheap rip off of the colonial flag that had the Union flag where the stars are dumped now.

It would seem, disrespect to that symbol of world arrogance is a naughty no no.

I, as many of you will be aware, am a capitalist.

That in mind, I'm going to get some stars and stripes bog roll printed with "Free UK political prisoners held in the US" printed over their crap flag.

I say "crap" because, being toilet roll, it will be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding and carrying crap.

It will get soiled but I'll try to get reasonable quality paper so it doesn't tear.

That may result in the need to clean under your fingernails.

Congratulations. You are positively, absolutely, the biggest, most offensive JERK on this forum, bar none. And with as many members as this forum has, that's saying something. You seem incapable of having your say about something without needlessly insulting people for no reason.

The article says quote "he hosts links to pirated films and TV shows" which means he is doing this without the permission of the owners of this entertainment.

How would you like it if you wrote a best selling novel and then found out that you could get on O'Dwyers link and see your novel available for free reading online?

It's not a fallacy that piracy costs us all. Maybe when these people on this thread end up paying more and more for their DVDs or paying ever higher rates for cable or satellite TV then they'll get their heads out of their asses and realize there's more involved to all this than just posting their usual little anti-yank diatrebs

I'm no expert on this subject but how is that any different from what Google do ? I'm sure if you do the right Google search you could find links to pirated content.

Congratulations. You are positively, absolutely, the biggest, most offensive JERK on this forum, bar none. And with as many members as this forum has, that's saying something. You seem incapable of having your say about something without needlessly insulting people for no reason.

That's a bit rich seeing as there are loads of people who worship Adolf Hitler posting on here. But then you Yanks waited until the Japanese attacked you before you got involved in fighting fascism. I disagree with UpInWath's politics but he's hardly the most offensive person on here. Just because he slags off you Yanks doesn't make him that. You're just a typical arrogant American who can't take any criticism and think that anti-Americanism is worse than the abuse meted out by those who last week were defending Stephen Lawrence's killers. At least Wath didn't urinate on you like a US soldier might have.

I hope the little smartass is extradited and put on trial.

For a crime that never happened.

I would hate the thought of someone streaming off anything that was my intellectual property while they profited from it and I lost out.

That would never happen in your case as it implies intellectual thought processes.

So would the rest of you.

I've had code stolen/distributed illegally. If the crime occurred in the UK, I would take action. I would not think I had the right to extradite someone from a foreign land where the act was not illegal.

O'Dwyer is a common thief, nothing more,nothing less.

I take it you feel the same about Google, Bing etc and will be lobbying for their prosecution? Also, just what exactly has he stolen?

If he's not extradited then he should be made to pay back all the money he illegally made by the UK authorities

Proof that he actually made the amounts the liars in the US are claiming he made please?

post links to different sites and not host the content themselves or am i missing something.

No, google often host the content themselves, as does Amazon.

This is a case of the US thinking it can do whatever it like with rank hypocrisy and thug/mafia like behaviour.

You cant watch a pirated movie on google can you?

Yes.

The article accuses O'Dwyer of streaming movies and TV shows

The article is wrong, he only ever linked to the files, never hosted them. I suggest you do a little research before you let rip with little to no knowledge of the (non) offence.

I'm no expert on this subject but how is that any different from what Google do ? I'm sure if you do the right Google search you could find links to pirated content.

There is no difference (other than the fact that google also hosts some of the pirated content).

Time for a hypocrisy break:

Congratulations. You are positively, absolutely, the biggest, most offensive JERK on this forum, bar none.

And with as many members as this forum has, that's saying something.

You seem incapable of having your say about something without needlessly insulting people for no reason.

I hope the little smartass is extradited and put on trial. I would hate the thought of someone streaming off anything that was my intellectual property while they profited from it and I lost out.

So would the rest of you. So enough of the humbug, hypocrisy and bulls**t.

O'Dwyer is a common thief, nothing more,nothing less. If he's not extradited then he should be made to pay back all the money he illegally made by the UK authorities

He didn't make any money illegally. He has committed no crime.

Maybe when these people on this thread end up paying more and more for their DVDs or paying ever higher rates for cable or satellite TV then they'll get their heads out of their asses and realize there's more involved to all this than just posting their usual little anti-yank diatrebs

There is nothing more to this. It is, quite simply and explicitly, about the US authorities extraditing a British citizen, who has never committed any crime in Britain and has never set foot in the USA, to face trial for something which is not illegal.

You can argue until you're blue in the face about whether it should be illegal, but you'd be wasting your breath. It isn't. This is equivalent to a British citizen being extradited for statutory rape because his girlfriend is 17 - which is entirely legal in Britain.

This seems a bit extreme.

A Sheffield student can be extradited to the US to face copyright infringement allegations, a judge has ruled.

Richard O'Dwyer, 23, set up the TVShack website which US authorities say hosts links to pirated copyrighted films and television programmes.

The Sheffield Hallam University student lost his case in a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

If found guilty in a US court he could face up to five years in jail.

If he is committing a crime why isn't he being prosecuted in the UK rather than being hauled off to the US?

So not only are we subject to European law, we are subject to American law? This is disgusting. It's beyond what this person did or did not do. As far as I can see he has committed no crime here, shipping him off to another nation to face criminal charges for something he did in the uk is stupid. Are we going to start demanding Americans are shipped here to face gun crime charges for owning what are illegal weapons in the uk? No of course not. We are going to stay silent and allow individuals to get picked off. :rant:

Do not take a holiday in America until the stupid agreement is stopped. Tell your mates the same thing.

Do not take a holiday in America until the stupid agreement is stopped. Tell your mates the same thing.

Well I'm going to contact Nick Clegg and urge that the coalition repeal this stupid legislation as a matter of priority and would urge others to do the same. I would consider this to be more effective than an internet petition.

Contact details in links below.

http://www.nickclegg.org.uk/ncorguk_contact.aspx

http://www.writetothem.com/write?who=47157&pc=S10+3TH&fyr_extref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dcontact%2520your%2520local%2520mp%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26sqi%3D2%26ved%3D0CC0QFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.writetothem.com%252F%26ei%3Db2ERT8bdDsr_8gPM4qz8Aw%26usg%3DAFQjCNFIRlIk5NzGN8viryID5jcKpfVgqw