Where to buy fleece for lining hats?

I've realised that after a few months of heavy wear, chunky 100% wool hats totally lose their shape. The one I knitted for my boyfriend is now a tea cosy.....

I wanted to start lining them with fleece, like they would be if you bought them, but my initial search suggests I can't get any for less than £7.95 a metre, and it's the thick stuff you'd use for a blanket rather than the microfleece stuff you'd use for a jumper or hat lining. That's what I found in John Lewis, but I'm getting similar prices online once you include postage. I don't really want to order online as I can't tell how thick it is.

Anyone know where I can buy the thinner stuff? It's not the price I object to as much as it wasn't really what I was looking for.

I've bought fleece blankets from Primark for making toys and hats. Worked out alot cheaper than buying fleece by the metre at the time.

try fine fabrics on hillsborough road, they are much, much cheaper than john lewis.

i think there is some fleece towards the front of the shop and there may be some in the sale section at the back of the shop...im sure i saw some when i was in last saturday.

you could also try direct knitting on attercliffe road where they certainly had fleeces before christmas...but you could give them a call to prevent a wasted visit if it has all gone.

x

I've bought fleece blankets from Primark for making toys and hats. Worked out alot cheaper than buying fleece by the metre at the time.

Excellent idea, hadn't thought of that but I'm always buying fleece blankets from Ikea for the dog at £2.99 or less - brilliant!!

I hadn't thought of fleece blankets either. I may have to get looking - I've got a book of patterns for sewing toys, and I've never been able to make any as I've not found any fleece. It's getting the different colours I have most trouble with - one pattern calls for 12 inch squares of four colours (the toys are quite small), so I didn't really want to buy it by the metre...

....so I didn't really want to buy it by the metre...

most places will let you buy from 20cm upwards rather than a full metre :)

x

most places will let you buy from 20cm upwards rather than a full metre :)

x

Yes, I have bought quarter of a metre before, but they only had a couple of colours. The shop has since burnt down...

I could just make lots and lots of toys!

Another brill site is

http://www.abakhan.co.uk

They have polar fleece in their catalogue which I think is what you're referring to?

They have masses of stuff so the website alone is worth a look

Regards,

Cheryl