Bright House Alternatives

I have already put a wanted add up regarding furniture a week or so ago and not had any replies, I do not want to get anything from a catalogue company because would rather check the furniture build quality first, not much in to cheep and tacky only lasting 5 minutes stuff.

I may just need to go to a few second hand warehouses around see if they will allow deposits on things.

I don't know how these places get away with it.

Easy, we've become a nation of "want the best and it now" people. My folks relied on hand me downs and second hand furniture and a diet of beans and toast when buying their place.

I really despise those Brighthouse adverts, especially that smug git who feels he needs a huge telly to watch football on to impress his mates. Are people really that shallow?

I'm surprised anyone who is unemployed can afford to shop at places like Brighthouse.

They can't, that's the problem.

Easy, we've become a nation of "want the best and it now" people. My folks relied on hand me downs and second hand furniture and a diet of beans and toast when buying their place.

I really despise those Brighthouse adverts, especially that smug git who feels he needs a huge telly to watch football on to impress his mates. Are people really that shallow?

When we were first married we had one wardrobe, a 2nd hand telly a bed settee and a cooker..

Jason - PLEASE read the link below from the Consumer Action Group about Brighthouse and have a look at the forum about Brighthouse on their site.

I would rather furnish my house with cardboard boxes than go to Brighthouse - of course you don't need to do that, just get what you need from Freecycle:thumbsup: Then save up to buy better stuff if you need it.

When I was younger I thought advice from parents about saving up and not buying stuff on credit was old fashioned and boring. But, believe me, after having just having shifted all my debt after years and years, I would choose old fashioned, boring saving and doing without what I can't afford any day.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130871

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?164-BrightHouse-and-other-rent-to-own-Hire-Purchase-Stores

I have been on Freecycle but can not find a way how to view items, like on ebay you can scroll down and view what is for sale with pictures.

You can occassionally drop into BH and find a bargain though, on the reconditioned stuff, which has been returned... They sell it only for the money that was outstanding on it, and if you have the cash to pay outright, even better. I once got a modern electric fireplace (the type with big cream surround with a bowl of pebbles in the middle on a wooden shelf) from the Crystal Peaks branch, listed at being £599+ the APR, for £42! I could have financed it over 12 months if I wanted, but no thanks! :hihi: They also regularly have coffee tables and glass TV stands for £25 in the Moor branch.

2nd hand goods.

A settee is there to be sat upon.

£5 Job done. (And the fiver was for delivery)

You don't need to spend a lot...

I'm impressed. I didn't think people did that nowadays. :P

Almost every bit of furniture we had in our (tiny) flat when we got married in 1967 was second hand. It was great fun finding it!

We've had various bit of new furniture since, so we've given away our old stuff to people who needed it.

I have been on Freecycle but can not find a way how to view items, like on ebay you can scroll down and view what is for sale with pictures.

Freecycle isn't a business with items for sale to make a profit though is it? If you are genuinely looking to furnish your place and don't have the cash to pay for items outright you can't afford to be too picky (neither of course can you afford to let legalised loan sharks like Brighthouse take advantage!!). You can email people off Freecycle for more info and maybe a photo of anything that might be suitable - stuff gets snapped up quickly though.

I have already put a wanted add up regarding furniture a week or so ago and not had any replies, I do not want to get anything from a catalogue company because would rather check the furniture build quality first, not much in to cheep and tacky only lasting 5 minutes stuff.

I may just need to go to a few second hand warehouses around see if they will allow deposits on things.

Theres a few stores in town as well:

http://www.emmaus-sheffield.org.uk/community_shop.php

Emmaus Sheffield

Unit 5

Sipelia Works

Cadman Street

Sheffield

S4 7ZG

Call 0114 272 0677

Looking at their ebay site, they have washing machines from £50 as well as dining room furniture

PreLoved - online trade pages

As well as this post from Nov 2011 listing 2nd hand stores all over Sheffield

The majority of people will post pictures if you contact them and will email you a photo back.

See if someone can get you into town or loan you the money for a city saver (£5 for all day bus & tram services through Sheffield)