Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

We got out letter today said we could keep our green bin if we paid £57 60 for the year ...... guess thats going then ...x

I'm going to keep my green bin and turn it into a composter bin. :)

Anyone got any tips? Does it need ventilating?

Or do 2/3/4 neighbours get together and use just 1 bin between them, 4 gardens grass cutting would just about fill the green bin, as the gardens are not really very big on our road, then splitt the cost, how could the council police that, lol

Why would they need to police it?

Surely it's perfectly ok to do that?

Why would they need to police it?

Surely it's perfectly ok to do that?

It wouldn't be any concern of the council anyway; the council are abandoning green bin collection.

Veolia might prefer that each person wanting to use the service pays their own fee and has their own bin, but I don't see that they could enforce such a thing even if they wanted to, and I doubt they would want to if they could.

The bigger problem would be other people on the street who haven't shared in the cost, dumping their own green waste in the same bin. That might upset the ones who have paid...

We got out letter today said we could keep our green bin if we paid £57 60 for the year ...... guess thats going then ...x

You can keep it for nothing. It's only £57.60 if you want it emptying.

Bins were trialled in some areas, sacks elsewhere. Up until now both were paid for through Council Tax. Nothing is free.

The bins were initially trialled with a grant from DeFRA.

this is a real shame. I really hope that the other recycling services stay.

Had a letter from the council about this matter, the letter state's the you can still subscribe the having your green bin emptied by paying £57.60 this is only for the service between April and December 2012

I live in Rotherham and we have had some changes also.

We too have a green bin, but it was for garden wate and cardboard. I always found this odd as we have a blue bag for paper etc... Surely card and paper are more similar than garden waste and card.

Anyway, they have decided the green bin is now only for garden waste and the card goes in the blue bag. No problem there then.

You would think not, but loads are complaining about it. For some people change is just a move too far.

I believe the Sheffield change seems a bit drastic though. Come to Rotherham, we love green bins! We finally have something better in Rotherham than Sheffield.

It is a rip off, but to be fair what's to stop you composting your lawn cuttings?

Problem is when you have a lot of stuff. I've just spent the last couple of weeks weeding and tidying my garden after the winter. I now have 7 full green sacks and my compost bin is full to capacity. We'll just start putting it in the black bin week by week unless I want to sling it all in the back of the car and drive it to a recycling centre. I'm certainly not prepared to pay £57.60 for them to come and collect it. That's stupid money. I'd love to know how many people sign up for it.

Yeah I think they are getting rid of them. Shame really because I thought they were a really good idea for the environment.

I'm going to keep my green bin and turn it into a composter bin. :)

Anyone got any tips? Does it need ventilating?

you cant just keep it its pay up or give it back