Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

But they will charge you for collecting the bags as well.

You didn't read it.

There is a charge of £1.20 per sack and this includes delivery of the sacks to your home, and collection once full.

The £1.20 includes collection.

Thanks, if they offer this service I don't understand why they have introduced the £57.60 service which is considerably more expensive ....... Why have two different systems on the go, none of it makes sense to me I'm afraid :confused:

Thanks, if they offer this service I don't understand why they have introduced the £57.60 service which is considerably more expensive ....... Why have two different systems on the go, none of it makes sense to me I'm afraid :confused:

Depends how much you will use it. If you don't have a big garden and you have room for a composter just get a composter off the council for £20 and stick the garden (and kitchen) waste in that. And then forget about the kerbside collection you don't need any more.

Do what gardeners have always done, compost what you can and have bonfires for the rest. Where's the problem?

Depends how much you will use it. If you don't have a big garden and you have room for a composter just get a composter off the council for £20 and stick the garden (and kitchen) waste in that. And then forget about the kerbside collection you don't need any more.

I do compost my stuff, I just can't understand why the council would run two different schemes for garden waste is sounds ridiculous !

I do compost my stuff, I just can't understand why the council would run two different schemes for garden waste is sounds ridiculous !

Might be worth asking your local councillor if you have a concern about money being wasted. They're there to deal with these kinds of concerns.

You didn't read it.

There is a charge of £1.20 per sack and this includes delivery of the sacks to your home, and collection once full.

So what's the difference between being charged for them to empty your green bin and being chareged for them to collect your green waste in plastic bags apart from the ovious thousands of plastic bags mixed in with the waste collection and the fact that plastic bags are a much use as a chocolate tea pot when you are disposing of rose prunings?

So what's the difference between being charged for them to empty your green bin and being chareged for them to collect your green waste in plastic bags apart from the ovious thousands of plastic bags mixed in with the waste collection and the fact that plastic bags are a much use as a chocolate tea pot when you are disposing of rose prunings?

I guess the difference is if you only have say 20 bags of waste a year it will only cost you £24, instead of £57.

Or you could get a composter for £20. Or if you don't trust the bags just take the stuff to your local recycling centre.

You can do things for yourself you know.

Last week I put out our green waste bin to recycle our garden waste. When I returned home the green bin had gone. Part of the Labour Council's cuts was to do away with the green waste recycling collection. Now Veolia have offered to collect our green waste on a handful of occassions for a fee of £57.60. Needless to say I've declined their offer.

So Sheffielders with gardens. What do you intend to do with your green waste now that the council have introduced this "garden tax"?

I will probably stick mine into black bin liners and stick it in the black wheelie bin where it can go for landfill and produce methane for the next decade or so.

As you say, a fee, not a tax. And it's optional. I'll compost mine.

I wanted to keep my green bin but not pay, unfortunately my son saw all the green bins out on the street and put ours out too, they took it away. What are Veolia doing with all the bins and can we get hold of some?

As you say, a fee, not a tax. And it's optional. I'll compost mine.

In a nutshell you are being given a choice whether you use a local service and not forced to pay for it through a local tax even when you don't use it.

Manna from heaven for coalition supporters.

How about getting together with like minded neightbours, one of who owns a suitable van, and, fill it with everyone's garden waste.

Then select a suitable council authority building, striking that delicate balance between one that's as prominent as possible yet not covered with CCTV, then, dump the lot on the forecourt.

Not only does it get rid of the waste, but, it's far more responsible than chucking it into black bins, as, the council will be obliged to dispose of it professionally and appropriately.

As a bonus, it will also provide good publicity to highlight the councils shoody attitude to this issue.

Possible objection might be that, indirectly, the public will have to pay for the cleaning up via council tax, but, at the end of the day, we're all paying council tax anyway, and, supposedly, part of it's to fund some form of effective waste disposal, which clearly, these days, in no way exists.

The council clearly are not at all interested in listening to the public's views on these issues- voting/elections only result in a different set of non-listeners: if the council's having to deal with regular 'drop-offs' they may decide it's better after all, to simply provide the waste-collection service we're paying them for?