Garden waste (green bin) collection charges introduced from May 2012

So what will they say when I get on a bus with half a dozen sacks of fermenting grass; or are the council promoting the use of private cars and to hell with public transport? Very green..

It wouldn't cost £24 instead of £57. It will cost £24 instead onf nothing. They are charging for something that we already pay for through our council tax.

As I stated earlier council tax does not cover the full cost of providing all local services. Council tax is also frozen. Savings have to be made somewhere.

I wouldn't give £67 of my money to Veolia to keep my green bin on principle! I remember how refuse collectors used to be - lugging metal bins n their backs carrying them to the wagons, plus any overlow of sacks of rubbish, and always cheery. Used to leave treats and tips out for them because nothing was too much trouble. Veolia have bad attitude. They now have bins on wheels but god forbid you put wet grass in it which weighs more than dry grass and they leave it!!!! Good riddance!

Next in the news: fly tipping on the rise!

What they really want is to take away bin collecting all together and have a monthly fee or something.

I find it quite funny they are sort of stopping it mine got took away yesterday but if id have paid i think it was £57 for the year i could have had it emptied has normal be interesteing to see how many bins(who signed for it) they are sending the same lorry out to empty next time.

So when is the black bin collection going fortnightly? I can't find anything relating to it on the council website.

Hi.

I have started 'Greenwaste Recycling' to address the aforementioned problems with the lack of green waste collections in Sheffield.

I will be collecting green waste (only) from different areas of city, and recycling what cannot be composted. The service will be monthly and will charge by the black-bin-bag. So when you are not gardening, there is nothing to pay. The whole process is beneficial to the environment; reducing the amount of journeys to the tip; ensuring the waste is recycled and composted. We also hope to distribute the compost to gardens, garden centres and allotments.

I think this is a more local and organic solution to the problem. I would be really interested in what others thought and if you think it is a good idea, feel free to email greenwasterecyclingsheffield@gmail.com

Thanks

We've never had green bins up here. People will just have to take their garden waste to the tip like we've always had too.

We've never had green bins up here. People will just have to take their garden waste to the tip like we've always had too.

Or put it in the black bin if you do not have transport to get to the tip.

Well said, I've had lengthy discussions with the council over this, I already pay almost £1,000.00 a year for CT & I know people pay more. They take this service away, but will shed out loads for people to carry a silly torch through Sheffield.

We now share a green bin with the neighbour, wife's idea to do, but it's disgusting. It's okay saying take it to tip, I can't even do my own gardening any more & I am reliant on others, and as said by legs49 people don't have transport, bit pointless for us though, as none of us can drive, not a dig.:hihi:

A word of warning ....

We've never had a green bin and I've always put garden cuttings etc in the black bin. Last week, the bin was full of grass cuttings but Veolia refused to empty the bin. They put a label on it saying that it was too heavy and a couple of days later we received a letter from them stating that the bin was too heavy and was not emptied because of H&S reasons. I nearly replied saying that it was my young daughter who put the bin out the night before and she managed it. I wouldn't mind, but the bins are not lifted. They just wheel them to the machine that lifts and empties them. Anyway, I've always used my bin in this way and this is the first time in 10 years that it has been rejected. Perhaps they'll start weighing them next and charge by the Kg.

A word of warning ....

We've never had a green bin and I've always put garden cuttings etc in the black bin. Last week, the bin was full of grass cuttings but Veolia refused to empty the bin. They put a label on it saying that it was too heavy and a couple of days later we received a letter from them stating that the bin was too heavy and was not emptied because of H&S reasons. I nearly replied saying that it was my young daughter who put the bin out the night before and she managed it. I wouldn't mind, but the bins are not lifted. They just wheel them to the machine that lifts and empties them. Anyway, I've always used my bin in this way and this is the first time in 10 years that it has been rejected. Perhaps they'll start weighing them next and charge by the Kg.

As I've said plenty of times, it's down to the nanny state we live in & the ridiculous H & S excuses being trawled out. I remember when binmen just came, chucked it on their shoulder put it in lorry and, they got a tip at Christmas :)

Yep, that would be preferable but unfortunately the black bin is too small to take both my rubbish and garden waste (i have a very long garden) so i have no choice other than to take it to the skip.